Afib and headaches

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi everyone, I was wondering does anyone else get a headache when they're in afib? That's the only way I know I am in afib is that it starts out with a headache on the left side with a feeling of dizziness . I just wanted to know if anyone else experience these symptoms .

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hiya, yes, headaches, dizziness and terrific chest pain. All part of the fun. Due to the fact that when the heart isn't pumping efficiently then sufficient oxygen isn't getting to your organs, hence pain. Don't let it get you down. Just rest up and relax when you feel that way. All the best.

• Posted

Interesting, as last night i was flipping in and out of AF and had a rotten head. Normally, i just flip in and have to ride the storm, but this was all new to me!! Had to leave work early and got home, rested and amazingly for me, managed to avert a full blown 8 hr episode, which has been my norm. Wonder if this finally means ablation no 2 back in may, has finally started to fix me!!
    • Posted

Hiya, so pleased to hear you flipped out of AF, I've been told always go to A & E, which is even scarier.  I feel so uncomfortable when I have an attack, so completely out of rhythm, don't think I could stay still to rest up. Hate it .... Al the best. 

• Posted

Pauline, my episodes last up to 12 hrs. Ive not been cardioverted .....yet!! I still flip back, albeit uncomfortable and tiring. My longest ever is 26 hrs!! Just want it to stop frankly.
    • Posted

OMG, that's awful, you're very brave!  Are you on any meds and do you expect to be cardioverted any time soon?  Do you know what triggers it?  I hope and pray it stops for you, keep strong my AF friend.  

• Posted

I have a sick atrial sinus (syncope and atrial fibrillation). Each time that I have an atrial fibrillation episode, I have a very strong stabbing headache, the higher the heart frequency, the stronger the headache is on my left side; after the episode, I feel exhausted. Last Saturday (5/6/17), I had one of the worst headaches ever, and I was very scared because I thought that I will have had a stroke (I am a retired M.D.). 
  • Posted

I've been in afib 2 weeks and I've had a headache

• Posted

I was just diagnosed with cold water induced paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Had my first episode of AF last night which was induced by drinking a 1/2 glass of ice water. HR 130-260, BP 150/100.

ER visit, 6mg of Adenisone IVP diagnosed the jigsaw wave pattern of AF, but did not convert my rhythm. 20mg of Cardizem IVP did not convert me either. So I was admitted for monitoring and titrated Cardizem IV drip. I converted within 30 minutes of being on 5 mg Cardizem IV drip. All my bloodwork was normal. Overnight they titrated down the meds from 5 down to 2.5 then off completely w/in 5 hours (my HR through the night was a stable sinus rhythm 60-80 bpm and BP 110/70'ish). I had an echo and treadmill stress test which were also both normal. I will see an electrophysiologist in the next 2 weeks as a follow-up and talk about this episode, triggers, future treatment options, etc.

I've been pretty tired/exhausted all day with a mild headache. There's alot to learn as I navigate this new condition. My dad had it, so it's not coming from left field, but it was still unexpected. I'm 55 and female.

• Posted

I have had an AF episode today back home from A&E now but have a stinking headache. This was my first trip to A&E as I have always put this down to stress. So I’m unsure as to what will happen next . Any help advice would be much appreciated.

• Posted

I had my first AFib incident on Sunday immediately after arriving from a transatlantic flight.  I awoke from a short sleep before we landed with a bad headache which continued after disembarking.  As I quickly headed towards passport control I realised my heart was going bananas - my pulse was way above 150 and erratic and I had strong palpitations.  I thought I was going to pass out but didn't.  My wife gave me an aspirin and then took me to A&E where I was diagnosed with AFib. 

The headache stopped shortly after taking the aspirin and I forgot about it until now. Your post reminded me.

• Posted

I was in afib and had an ablation last year. I still had bouts of afib since. I just had a second ablation 3 weeks ago. The first ablation i felt ok after except still having afib. This ablation was way worse 6 hour surgery, 4 conductors. I'm now healing but still bouts of afib which can be normal up to 3 months. But I'm having sever headaches. Has anyone had an ablation and headaches after?

• Posted

I was just recently diagnosed with afib and superventricular tachycardia. I suddenly started becoming short of breath even just talking, walking to Kitchen, up to bed. Had a heart monitor for 2 weeks and it discovered why I was feeling so bad. Go for a heart cath in a few weeks to find out why this is going on. I am only 42. Used to being on the other side taking care of the patient post op but not myself. I have been having headaches too and wondered if was caused by afib. 
    • Posted

The headache may be related. Just before I had my episode I had a headache.  it was bad enough to make me take an aspirin (I have a fairly high pain threshhold). 

The headaches may or may not be related, please remember to ask the doctor when you see them (then let us know, I'm curious about that myself). <3 

• Posted

As soon as I find out I will let you know don’t see him again until my heart cath on the 6th of July. 
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with AFIB over 6 years ago after a blow to my chest.  There seems to be no normal experience with A FIB.  It can be different every time and everyone seems to have different experiences.  I have been having more episodes this month than ever before.  I think the heat and humidity bother me.  And I have had a headache for three days.  Sometimes I can get right into Sinus rhythm coughing or grunt/pushing, or cold water on my head or rubbing my neck.  It just does not always work.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.