AFib and Medication

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All

I was diagnosed in 2010 with Paroxymal AF and had just a few attacks of palpitations..was told to take no meds by GP ( he did ring a week later and say it might be worth taking a child aspirin daily which i did (bought over the counter) and took this right up to last October when he said stop taking it they probably do no good!!!!

Earlier this year I had a couple of weeks where I had a few more palpitations than normal and was put on Bisoprolol 2.5 mgs by GP who then informed me that as i was 65 in August 2016..i would be going on warfarin!!

I have had at least 3 kgs weight gain from this Bisoprolol since March and I feel tired so I asked the GP last week if i could reduce the dose to 1.25 mgs and he said yes and if i get palpitations anywhen then take the other half of the pill!

I cannot see that why as a 64 year old and taking no blood thinners/Meds since October..why this has to change and go on them just because I am 65..I do NOT want to take warfarin at all because of the side effects..and worrying about getting cut etc/scratched by my pets..they do this all the time... is going toi make my AF WORSE!Any suggestions..I have been told that I have to see GP re this Warfarin thing in 3 weeks!

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Shelley, I was on asprin but due to "New Guidlnes" I was changed to Eliquis

because they now say asprin would not protect me from a stroke. As much as I hate taking medication the thought of a stroke is more worrying. I have had no side effects from Eliquis.

• Posted

Old age...Man you gotta hate it. Your doctor is right. Risk factors for stroke include age, hypertension, atrial fibrillation and a bunch more. The actual risk is tricky to figure out. I went at it this way, probably wrong: a 65 year old guy is in a cohort of people who are at risk for embolic stroke at the rate of about 6 strokes per 1,000 patient/years. Out of a thousand people age 65 about 6 will have strokes in any one year. Atrial fibrillation just about doubles the risk of stroke to 11+ strokes per 1000 patient/years. Oral anticoagulation, properly monitored cuts the afib part of the stroke risk about in half for a net stroke risk of about 9 per 1000 patient years. Scary people will say that even properly anticoagulated you (and I) will have a stroke risk which is 150% of normal risk. Optimistic people will say the excess stroke risk in that group is 3 strokes per 1000 people per year. No anticoagulation people will have 6 excess strokes over the normals. Doesn't sould like much, but here is what decided me to take the warfarin, monitor it myself at home (I'm in the U.S. where that can be done, don't know about UK). That way I can keep watch and make sure I stay in the guidelines, and thereby, if and when I have a disabling stroke, I will not have to put up with my wife, suddenly demoted to invalid caregiver, barking at me for failing to do everything possible to keep her out of that stinky job. So I say do what your doctor says, wear a MedAlert bracelet about the blood thinner so that the emergency responders will know why you are bleeding so much when you fall off your bike, and get on with life. This rotten ailment can consume your thoughts if you let it. Don't let it.

• Posted

Great post!!! Bracelet is an excellent idea as well..fab read!
    • Posted

Yeah older age stinks! I quite agree but I'll grow old disgracefully all the same. Life is for living  and have not yet done enough of that!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.