Afib and Stroke

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone

I was diagnosed 3 years ago with Atrial fibrillation, i have been on 2 different beta blockers and 3 different blood thinners they all caused so many serious side effects i am now on none. My GP says take the thinners or have a stroke! I have read that I am 5 times more likely to have a stroke now, so does anyone know exactly what that means, 5 times more than what? What are the persentages normal 64 year old male without afib, for instance if a 64 year old has a 5% chance of a stroke and i am 5 times more likely to have a stroke does that mean without the thinners I have a 25% chance of having a stroke, 5% x 5 = 25%?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure about how to figure your chances of a stroke but I wanted to ask you if you tried aspirin for a blood thinner?.My cardiologist put me on 325 mg of aspirin a day. I guess he doesn't like the other blood thinners available. Even if you took a baby aspirin a day I think it would help. Thats all my dad took after his heart attack. I also have AFib.. I understand how awful Beta Blockers are. Ive been on several. I'm on atenolol and Flecainide now until I see an electrophysiologist. .. I feel crappy 😦

• Posted

i am allergic to NSAIDS so aspirin is out of the question

my face swells and my throat closes

• Posted

thats not good. 😦 Are there any other choices of blood thinbers to try?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.