AFib, colonoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with self correcting AFib last year. i have had it for a while but could never catch it in the act until march 18. Anyway, i just had a colonoscopy for diverticulitis. I take Fleccinide 100/mg a day. the proceedure and cleanse went fine, but last night i had probably the worst AFib i have ever experienced. i have not had a episode in 5 months.

i have read on this site about possible interaction with SUPER BOWEL cleanse and fleccinide, but can not find the thread. How long before the cleanse will be counteracted by the flecc? Also has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I had AF after having my aortic valve replaced. I had been out of AF for about 15 months after a cardioversion. When I had a colonoscopy:

What did happen though was said to be very unusual. I was watching the procedure on the screen with little sedation and quite alert. I suddenly noticed that my BP and heart rate were rapidly dropping. BP to 40/29 and heart rate 30 bpm. I think are they going to do something about this? With an oxygen mask on it was difficult to speak. They suddenly panicked.

Discharge notes say:

“Gellofusion was administered and .1ml of atropine given. Anaesthetist was called who then administered 1L of Hartman’s solution, an extra 3 mls of atropine and 20 mg of Boscopon .

Patient much improved and monitored in his room for rest of day”

In an NHS hospital I would be on a trolley in the corridor.

Heart rate went up in the room and by mid-afternoon after being on a drip and having tea and toast and lots of water my BP was 123/67 which made them happy. The reason the probe stimulated nerves in my colon or vagus nerve during the procedure. I certainly did not feel that pleasure. I live three streets

away from the hospital and felt well enough to walk home but next day when walking up a slope realised that I was back in atrial fibrillation after over a year in NSR after a previous cardioversion. My vagus nerve is evidently very sensitive as after having again been in NSR for over a year I had a DRE that

also stimulated my vagus nerve putting me back into AF now permanent AF for the past three years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.