Afib Strategy Advice Needed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Up until a couple weeks ago, my four afib episodes were ten years apart starting in my 30's. So I cardioverted and forgot about it. In the last two weeks I've had 8 episodes. Two episodes of afib, the first lasting an hour and the second lasting ten minutes. Five episodes of SVT each lasting under five minutes. And one episode of atrial flutter lasting under five minutes. All documented with my Kardia Mobile. I should also add (or let's say speculate) that it's possible I've had these under 5 minutes episodes in the past and just wasn't aware of them since I didn't have a Kardia Mobile until recently. I guess that's both the good and bad of today's technology!

Wondering if anyone has had similar and what approach they took. I'm not against ablation but I am inclined to try that last after various medication strategies in stages. My inclination is to start with taking nothing and then react to each episode with either dilitiazem (for rate) or Flecanide for rhythm if necessary. So far not necessary as they seem to go away by themselves. Hopefully the past two weeks are an anomaly and the events will slow down or abate for awhile as they have over the last 40 years. Next step might be dilitiazem and/or Metropolol daily. Next a daily anti-arrythmic like Flecanide. Last ablation.

Does this make any sense or should I be on something now? Yes, I started on and will remain on Xerelto to keep myself safe. I am also seeing an EP soon but wanted to get forum input. Thanks. Jim

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Kardia Mobile? Been thru it all.finally had an ablation and so far so good. rhythm is good,..each case different. 
  • Posted

Hello Jim,

I felt I had to respond to your post, given how much good advice you seem to have given others over the months I have been a member of this forum. Sadly I'm not sure there is any advice I can provide though. My two major episodes of atrial flutter/SVT happened before I even knew what was going on, or had the chance to seek medical advice immediately.

Once I had a diagnosis, late 2016, then followed the stroke, and in June last year an ablation. Between the stroke and the ablation I was fine, as I have been post ablation, so how effective has the ablation been, very hard to say, I'm just happy to have not had a repeat of the 2016 episodes, so I now see the ablation as more preventative, as opposed to corrective; I'm sure this will not be everyone's experience though.

What I did experience occasionally were palpitations, were these Afib episodes, really not sure, but a big trigger for me was bloating and acid reflux. I now have that under control mainly via diet, and I very seldom get any significant palpitations any more, but having said all that, I'm still a relative newbie to Afib.

My EP has discharged me and strongly recommended I remain on Eliquis, which I intend to do. I have never required any rhythm control medication, and have taken bisoprolol a few times for rate control, but not since the ablation last year.

Not sure if that helps, but I guess everyone's experiences are a little different.

Best Wishes

Allan

I am back to cycling 40-50 miles, and planning

• Posted

Forgot to say Jim, I am back cycling, 50-60 miles and planning to ride the big 100 mile London sportive end of July, an objective I set myself at the beginning of the year, just need to ensure I stay on the bike.

A

• Posted

Hi Sherpa, thanks for the response and glad things are now better.  I'm not saying to give up your serious bike endurance training, but there is some thought that this type of training can cause afib. Dr. John Mandrola, also a cyclist and an afib sufferer, wrote a book about it called "The Haywire Heart". He would probably tell you to cut back on the rides a little but then again, if it's something you really love, it may be worth it.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim,

I read John Mandrola's book after your earlier recommendation, a very good read. Slight difference between me and the characters in his book, they were serious competitors, I'm just a social rider, albeit over some distance, and I promise, well I've promised my wife, that this will be the last London ride, and at the moment I mean it.

I recently had a 48 hour Holter, and during this I did a three hour ride, maintaining sinus rhythm throughout, but as I said, I'm still a newbie at this stuff, I have little doubt that at some point in the future, Afib will strike again, but hopefully not this summer.

I have just purchased some Wound Seal, in the probable event that I fall off sooner or later and incur some road rash, the feedback on it appears very good.

Best Regards

Allan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.