afib trigger / weight loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone experianced afib brought on by weight loss, for me it was on atkins and then keto diet, maybe going into ketosis?

Any imput would be appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It definitely could be your electrolytes. I have a friend who tried the Dukin diet ( very similar) no carbs to start...and went into afib first day. She now knows she cannot go to low on carbs.

• Posted

I started on the Keto diet and was following that for about a month when I experienced my first A-fib attack. I went to the ER and I was told my thyroid numbers were off. I had papillary carcanoma 8 years ago and had my thryoid removed. My PCP had changed the dosage of my meds about the time I started the Keto diet. My potassium level was low as well. I was never given answers as to the cause but in speaking with a "big" person from my vitaman Company, they felt that the Keto diet is what caused the a-fib attack. I was told it's really important to get your greens in every day. Hope this helps somewhat.

• Posted

I am on a blood thinner. Haven't had an attack that I'm aware of. I'm also on Metroprolol succ 100 mgs daily as well as two other b lood pressure medications.

I drink a glass of wine every now and then. I haven't seen that as a trigger to anything.

I take the blood thinner Eliquis 5 mg 2 times daily for stroke prevention. I tried to fight taking it but cardiologist and pcp all convinced me I should.

• Posted

why are you on a blood thinner if you haven't noticed afib? Im a heavy drinker but now quitting. my doc won't put me on a thinner, as Im not able to prove the afib.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.