Afib triggers

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I was just curious if any of you afibbers are able to drink coffee without it triggering afib? I want to drink just a regular cup of coffee so bad but I'm afraid it may trigger my afib.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have 3-4 cups of coffee a day and am fine. All you can do is trial it and see if its a trigger for you or not. If you don't go into af within a few hours you know you are fine.

• Posted

Reading these postings ,i learned that coffee can trigger a-fib attacks. I stopped all regular coffee drinks an now drink one cup of weak decaff in the moening and one in the late.afternoon. I really have seen a decrease in my a-fib attacks.
  • Posted

I have no trouble drinking coffee of any kind. Still haven't found a trigger for my afib! Sucks..

• Posted

I have one cup of coffee a day and no problem.

(I found that some BP meds (Ramipril and Candesartan) triggered my afib.and am now on Bisoprolol)

• Posted

I have one good strong coffe every morning without any issues. Even have a second some days (and occasionally a third) and still fine. It's alcohol that triggers my A-fib!

• Posted

Coffe in a reasonable amount has no effect on me.  I think I kinow why.

Coffee contains theobromine and that relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter which then allows the vagus to irritate the heart causing afib.

The worse case comes from chocolate which has a lot more theobromine and I can count on bad stomach and afib episodes if I eat chocolate.  

No more afib for me now that I have this and other things figured out.

Frank

• Posted

Hi,

i use to drink  Decaf for years and switched to reg with no more or less afib attacks.so I don't think I'm to sensitive to caffeine....but I had a glass of wine and all hell broke loose....so I won't do that again.😩Just try a little bit and work your way up ..I wish you luck..coffee is my only vice I have and I really don't want to give it ..

• Posted

Thank you Diane . I'm drinking a half of cup of coffee right now . It's been 3 years that I stopped drinking regular coffee and I really miss it lol . So I'm starting out drinking just a half a cup a day for awhile until I get use to it again then slowly move up to a full cup.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.