Afraid i will go into afib again..

Posted , 8 users are following.

Here is my story. I'm 42 years old and I went into afib at 21 weeks pregnant in July. I converted in the hosp about 12 hrs later. I've never had any heart problems, and no high bp. I had a 30 day event monitor which was fine no problems. They said my afib was probably do to my pregnancy because my electrolytes where out of me balance. I'm no longer on any meds. I'm just so scared it will happen again😞 how do you all deal with this?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How to deal with it when you are pregnant? - Eat several small meals ending with lots of water....no large meals.The bigger your stmach gets from your in utero baby, the more pressure you'll put on the vagus nerve which then willl cause rythm issues. Its very common.

Frank

• Posted

When i was pregnant many many years ago my heart would beat crazy. The doctors said it was due to the extra blood and stress of the pregnancy. I would think you should be fine. Keep your caffein and blood pressure under control. Keep your stress level down. Do not abuse alcohol and you should be fine. 
    • Posted

Thank you. I guess once you have had afib its just is so scary you pray it doesn't happen again, at least that's how I feel..

• Posted

Hi,Laurie ,

likely everthing is in OK. Pregnancy often results in bening arhithmias, without any consequecies. Although atrial fibriallation is rare in pregnency, but sometimes coold happen. Ilink here a paper here about this problem and copy here the here the summary of the paper:

"Pregnancy is accompanied by a variety of cardiovascular changes in normal women; all of these changes are thought to promote arrhythmogenesis. Atrial fibrillation is unusual during pregnancy and it can represent a benign, self-limited lone atrial fibrillation or can be hemodynamically significant in parturient with or without structural heart disease. Management of atrial fibrillation should be the same as in nonpregnant women, but requires faster intervention, even in patients with a normal heart function, and cautious use of medication to avoid harm to the fetus. We might remember that synchronized electrical cardioversion has been performed safely during all stages of pregnancy."

http://www.jafib.com/PMC/XML/Inprogress/295/295pdf_luca.pdf

"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.