Afraid of an SVT episode happening while Traveling to different Countries (exp..Mexico)

Posted , 8 users are following.

Does anyone travel anxiety free? I’ve had SVT for 20 years I’m 37 I hardly travel because I feel home is my safe spot but now my family has planned a trip to Mexico and I’m afraid to go because I’m afraid to have an episode in a whole different country. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am afraid too and have cancelled 2 holidays that we had booked for this year because my SVTs had been getting more frequent.  Am going to settle for holidays in this country for a while. 
  • Posted

Mary, that is a big fear of mine too...is your trip to Mexico a cruise, because someone here had a great idea of checking with the cruise lines availability of med(s) needed for a SVT episode. I’m even not crazy about plane rides, but at least they don’t take too long. 
  • Posted

I will not get on a plane for fear that I will have an episode. I only travel to places that I can drive to and even then I always make sure that there is a hospital near where I vacation. Just know you are not alone with your anxiety.
  • Posted

I travel frequently, flying 3-4x times per week domestically in the US. And travel internationally about once a year. I honestly don't worry about having an episode, if one happens so be it. My episodes can last for a few hours when they happen, but eventually they all have to stop and I've been told by my EP that as long as I feel fine other than the palpitations I'm good to go. Not dangerous, just an irritating annoyance.

• Posted

I'm glad you're receiving what I suspect will be helpful responses, Mary.  I'm guessing that travel anxiety is one of the biggest challenges we face with SVT.  My suggestion is to talk to your health care people and, if they turn you loose, take off and have a great time.  I've had some of my best times in Mexico, and I think you will to. I wish you well.

• Posted

I've had SVTs most of my life, currently about half a dozen a year. I'm not a great traveller but if I want to go somewhere I do. At least twice I've had SVTs while flying because of the stress! – actually the noise and vibration of the plane masks the heartbeats which stops me panicking, and eventually it just calms down, as it would at home. I take a beta blocker before I leave for the airport, to keep my heart as steady as possible, and these days I carry the "pill in the pocket" – Flecainide – which usually stops an episode (not always!). SVTs are incredibly common and I'm sure hospitals in Mexico will have the necessary drugs (adenosine?). The consultant assured me (like one of the other contributors) that SVTs are no more dangerous than hiccups, and just as annoying and unpredictable!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.