Afraid of anaesthesia

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have never had an operation before,  I'm not bothered at all about having my womb cut out; I'm afraid of being anaesthetised. If it were possible, I wouldn't mind just  having the area anaesthetised and staying awake and watching the whole operation.

I have asthma, I am allergic to some local anaesthetics as well as other medicines,  and I have developed breathign difficulties when taking certain medicines, including sleeping pills. I'm afraid that I will stop breathing or have an allergic reaction. Also that I may wake up in the middle of the operation (I've sometimes stayed awake after taking strong prescription sleeping pills), that I might become brain damaged,,go into a coma, go into a locked-in state where I can sense everything around me but everybody thinks I'm unconscious, or worst of all, just never wake up.

I had a cat who went completely deaf after being anaesthetised for a routine dental exam, but he had a heart condition already, which may have caused this by preventing enough oxygen from getting to his ears when he was under the anaesthetic.

I know people who have had many operations and they were fine every time. Did anybody else have the same fear of anaesthesia before their operation? How did you get over it?

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have never had this fear apart from the apprehension I think most of us feel at the prospect of surgery but what I wanted to say is that all aspects of your medical history are checked and rechecked and then checked again before the operation.

The anaesthetist will come to speak to you before the surgery and will go over everything again with you. They are very good at their jobs and their job is to ensure your safety throughout the surgery.

Speak to your consultant and the anaesthetist about your fears. I have no doubt that they will have had many, many similar discussions.

• Posted

Hi I'm a chronic asthmatic with mild sleep apnea and I had general anaesthetic for the first time in feb when I had my hystercopy I was out for around 30 mins and all the same thoughts as you what if, talk to the anethiaist first don't panic I'm having my hysterctomy on 17th April. Everyone is nervous let them know about your allergies and be clear on that. I was also told to lose weight which I have so I'm safe now to have op have had to do all of this within a few weeks. You will be fine as I never thought I could ever have anaesthetic being a chronic asthmatic they are loads more advanced now and can put something in to help you with your breathing good luck and don't worry. X
  • Posted

lHi!  I know this will make some people wince but I had a TAH, removal of ovaries and very very large fibroid without a general anaesthetic. I didn't have sedation either just a spinal. I was awake throughout chatting to the theatre staff and anaesthetist and even got to see the fibroid! It was fine, and I really didn't want a general having had unpleasant side effects previously. I was in recovery by 4.15pm and back in bed eating dinner at 6pm.  I don't know if all hospitals offer this, I had my surgery privately (although I didn't pay - long story!). Possibly an option?! 
  • Posted

Hi

I was really worried before my op as I had never had a general anaesthetic either but it was no problem at all.  I did have an epidural (another thing I was really scared about) but that was nothing to worry about either.  I was first on the operation list on the day and taken down at 8.30am.  Once the epidural had been give (just felt my bum get warm as it took effect!) then the general anaesthetic was given and I just remember listening to the nurses chatting about their holidays.  The next minute I woke up looking at the clock on the wall which said 11.30 and my first thought was that they were taking a long time to take me into the operating theatre.  It was only when a nurse came over to talk to me that I realised the op was actually over!!  That was literally all I remember, and I didn't even feel uncomfortable.

I do hope your op is as easy at this.

Bst wishes.

Shani

• Posted

I didn't know you could just have a local anaesthetic. Loleep, did you only have one large fibroid? I have too many fibroids to count, accoridng to my MRI, three very large ones and numerous smalle ones.  What kind of incision did you have? I am having a vertical abdominal incision.

Anyway, I am allergic to the most common local anaesthetic, so that could cause even more problems. Besides, I think avoiding something just because you are afraid of it is a bad idea.

• Posted

HI Astropuppy!  I had one extremely large fibroid, and the surgeon re-opened my c-section horizontal scar.  For me, the benefit was that I had a great recovery. With previous general anaesthetic, I've felt really poorly for a couple of weeks.  I'd had a really bad experience with my 3rd child (who is now 3), who had to be delivered by emergency c-section, and so I was a bit apprehensive because of that.  I never really thought of it as 'not facing my fear', it was an option available, so I took it, and I have absolutely no regrets.  I had an amazing surgeon, and compared to my 'botched' c-section which took me a very long time to recover from, my recovery was so much easier and 'pleasant'.  biggrin
  • Posted

I also have asthma. When you have your pre op every thing will be disscussed with you to ease your mind. The anaesthetic is like time stands still they telling you your sleepy next second you are awake in recovery it's all over. I was collected at 10.30 to go down on a trolly When I came round

next i asked the time it was 12.25

It will not be as bad as you expect I promise

• Posted

Hey have you ever had a spinal anaesthetic? I had my two sons by Ceasaerean Section one an emergency the other elected!! Believe me the second was a lot easier for both myself and the baby!!! I'm off to hospital in the morning to have a vaginal cyst removed under local anaesthetic again and I'm really worried as surgery for Carpal Tunnel was most uncomfortable!!!!

Look speaking from very real experience although I'm worried I will now stand and be counted for my choice make sure you do XXXXXXXXX 

• Posted

I was worried before my TAH in February. Once I knew I had to have it done, I would worry at night and have this strange feeling of mask on my face and panicking. Very odd, but I had an MRI scan a few years ago when tried in normal scanner I found out I was claustrophobic! Had to go to open MRI scanner but after then I have had times when had same feelings of anxiety and to do with things being over my face I,e mask when I had another op under sedation. I just had to try to think logically, I need this op , I have to have anaesthetic, drs know what they are doing, I will be assessed as to whether safe and so on. Some of it is just a way of thinking and getting those thoughts under control. I think it is this idea as well of being out of control of the situation when you are anaesthetised, not knowing what's going on, basically your life in their hands and it is an uncomfortable feeling. I am not very good at putting my trust in others but had to accept that I needed to in order to have the op. I have never had a major op before so it was daunting. Try not to let your thoughts get distorted and talk to the staff there about your worries. I am sure they can reassure you, they are dealing with this day in day out. Good luck . Xxx
  • Posted

I agree. It  is a fear of being out of control and trusting other people to have control of your body when there is nothing you can do about it. Just something we have to face.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.