Afraid of becoming addicted to Xanax

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been dealing with panic attacks and severe anxiety for about 2 months now. Progressively getting worse. In April I was prescribed 2mg of Xanax a day as needed. I would try to only take .5-1mg a day. I then started Zoloft which I'm not even sure is helping but, since being on it, I get heightened anxiety from the side effects. I'm afraid of becoming addicted to Xanax. When I try not to take it every 4 hours as prescribed I start feeling very anxious. For example I was supposed to take one again at 6pm today and my anxiety started to build up and I had to take it finally at 8pm. I'm just very worried about being dependent on these pills. Any tips, people who can relate, or advice would be great

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Caryn,

It sound like you aren't taking the prescribed

• Posted

Why are you trying to cut down or stop taking the pills.

you obviously need them.

Are you doing this with your doctors advice.

• Posted

Vivien if I remember rightly as I have tried my upmost to help people

in making them aware of drugs such as benzos.

You have chosen to take your pills as you feel that doctors know best.

Well even doctors are wrong and as I have already stated. Why are they taking patients off these drugs. I know why because they ahve finally realised the harm they are doing to people. They are for short term use 2 to 4 weeks but unfortunately people do become accidental addicts as I did.

It was against my doctors advice that i came off them. But my word I am so glad that i did  come off mine. If i hadnt i doubt to be honest that i would still be here,

• Posted

Ditto other replies

take as prescribed, your doctor has used his medical expertise to prescribe 2mg so that's what you should be taking. Look into alternative treatments to help, CBT or similar, relaxation tapes, meditation, talking therapy will help. Do not isolate yourself. I always say if I'm on my own I'm in bad company. Keep a journal, do something nice for yourself each day, good luck

• Posted

I am sat here fuming at your stupid comments. Do you not realise what harm these drugs are doing to you. Obviously not by your stupid replies.

Why do you think that doctors are being told to take patients off these drugs.

Because people are becoming addicted and by the looks of things that is what has happened to you.

Doctors are clueless at the harm these drugs are doing to people.

I suggest anyone that is taking any benzo . Have a look on the internet.

That is why in July there ia a World Benzo day. This is to warn people about the harm these drugs are doing to people.

If i hadnt come off mine . i wouldnt be sat here typin this.

• Posted

What in my comment is stupid?

I agree with your comments however I belive these drugs can be very useful in the short term such as following a sudden bereavement which is what happened to me.

Interesting that you judge me an addict - a stupid one too. I don't believe posting derogatory comments is helpful to anyone.

• Posted

take as prescribed, your doctor has used his medical expertise to prescribe 2mg so that's what you should be taking.  This is what you wrote.

Your words not mine.

If you read my other comments then you wouldnt have written what you did.

I know of people that are suffering because of trusting their so called Dr.

I trusted mine but never ever again.

If you dont like what I have posted. Feel free to report it.

But I wont stop trying to help people because when I became tolerant

I had no one to help me and ended up having to get myself help from people who knew about benzos because Drs only know how to put you on them. When it comes to needing to come off. There is no help what so ever. .

• Posted

Of course I'm not going to report you! You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. I do agree with you on the majority of your comments. Over prescribed medication is a problem not just with benzo's but with various groups of medication including antibiotics for example. There is help to come off benzo's freely available in support groups such as NA. I believe that non drug therapy is much better and safer than benzo's which is why I listed a few in my original post. But I stand by comment that this type of drug can be useful in the short term (as recommended by the manufacturer) following a major traumatic event.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.