Afraid Of Dying in my sleep!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Before I go to bed I put it into my head that I'm going to die if I sleep so I try to stay awake as long as I can no matter how hard I try to forget it won't do anything good, anybody have advice or tips?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Riley,

Why are you afraid of dying in your sleep?

• Posted

I guess I'm afraid of not waking up and seeing my family again and death its self. I don't believe in a religion like most people I believe in a higher power yes but I don't know what happens when we die I guess that's what scares me.

• Posted

Hi there, a fellow anxiety sufferer I know has the same fear and I don't think it's that uncommon, I've not really got much advise for you other than trying to forget is like telling yourself not to think of a pink elephant, it just doesn't work. The best advise I can give you is to accept you have this fear and just allow yourself to fall asleep rather than fight it, the chances overall of dying in your sleep is extremely low with the chances you will wake in the morning extremely high so your fear is highly unlikely to happen and unfounded. Neil 

• Posted

Riley

Try Mindfulness a Relaxation Technique, instructions on the internet or GP.

I used to worry when in my teens and early twenties. Now I feel at sixty seven is if I have got to go what better way then in bed fast asleep. You need to understand nothing can be done, when we are called we go, there is no negotiation, no pretty please one more day, that is it 

I once heard a story of someone in hospital that knew she was going to die and would not sleep, she would sit in Her chair and not sleep eventually She died, that was it She was unable to accept the obvious

This in may ways is not treatable, you need to accept your mortality and move on. It would seem the generation born now may live upwards one hundred and fifty years. I would be happy with that

BOB

• Posted

Thank you so much!! I still have it but you're right if I die I die I guess I'm just afraid of not seeing my family again when I close my eyes...

• Posted

Riley

In my faith when I die we enter a different parallel Universe and we meet those who have gone before and those that will follow you. There will be a fantastic party, so death becomes an extension to life.

BOB

• Posted

Ah thanks I just want to spend time in this world than another parallel universe, and thanks.
  • Posted

Think of it this way. Your chances of dying in your sleep is less than when you're awake because your body is in a relaxed state. This causes your blood pressure to decrease and your body to repair itself. You're more apt to die from being awake (car accident, falling, etc.).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.