Afraid of Stroke or Aneurysm

Posted , 5 users are following.

My anxiety disorder manifested about six months ago, when I had my first panic attack after leaving class at 9PM. Since then it's progressively gotten worse.

About four months ago, I began to have a twitching sensation in the area about an inch in front of and above my left ear, where my temporal artery is. When it first manifested, I saw my doctor after only a couple of days and they said it was probably anxiety caused and not to worry about it.

The *constant* twitching went away after about a week and it would only resurfance when I was having a panic attack or on odd days.

As of the last 2 weeks, however, it has become permanent and the sensation has begun to alter from a twitch to a constant, warm tingling sensation with sometimes a dull ache or sharp shooting pain. I have also on/off had a tenderness in the back left corner of my neck that I have never had before, and intermittent (but very few) headaches that were not especially painful. I have been having slight numbness and tingling in my left arm, my left leg, and the left side of my face.

Usually with anxiety symptoms like this I can calm myself down by reading that other people are suffering the same thing and they are fine and physically (if not mentally) healthy and not in danger of dying. However, I haven't been able to find anyone talking about throbbing or aching veins and arteries and I am worried that this is not typical and that this is something I need to worry about.

My partner is discouraging me from seeking medical care for this because I have already had it looked at when it first emerged, before it persisted and the new symptoms started. I am afraid he will be angry if he finds out I went to the doctor for it, as he thinks that I need to just ignore it.

What should I do? What methods can be used to reduce and control the physical symptoms of anxiety? I haven't had much success with breathing techniques, visualization, or EMDR, and any meditation I have tried has been completely unsuccessful because I am unable to divert my attention from the throbbing in my temple. Please help!!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm kind of going through the same thing but I have a fear of a brain tumor. Try Gabba or Ashwaghanda root. It doesn't make everything go away but it does make everything more manageable. Your best bet regardless of other people's opinions is to get looked at. I know it can be daunting but it will fast track your recovery. I hate to say it but your partner is being extremely dismissive and unsupportive. Get it looked at, weigh your options and beat this damn thing.

• Posted

Also I feared the same thing...stroke...went to the ER three times in the span of a week and a half. My EKG and vitals were great each time. It doesn't make it go away but it should ease your worry. It's textbook anxiety.

• Posted

Sadly all the symptoms of anxiety... I think we have all experienced these feelings and symptoms. 

I ended up in A&E as i thought i was having a stroke.... Nope anxiety.

It manifests itself into so many things its a nightmare.

But hang in there try and perservée with the breathing it can help. Also guided meditations, fresh air, plenty of fluids and lots of TLC

• Posted

If you have had a course of tests and your results have come through as clear you need to accept your GP and Hospital findings.

When it comes to artries pulsating that also can be put down to stress and need to be accepted at that after your GP has explained these problems to you.

The problem with anxiety, sometimes depression and Panic is the symptoms become self perpetuating and the patient will worry all the more, and the condition becomes a monster that can persist over long periods of time.

Talk to your GP and discuss your concerns. Hopefully He will be able to show you how your condition is controlling your life choices

BOB

• Posted

You have to do more then try meditation or mindful excerises. You have to perfect them and yes they will work. It sucks when family tells you no more doctors. It really sucks! Because it bugs them ooh that infuriates me. But anyway seek a therapist who teaches self calming techniques..even a hypno therapist is really useful. Cynical people have a hard time embracing meditation because they are way too stubborn and it messes it all up. Let down your control, let down your gaurd and  keep at it. 

For yout twitches..drink a lot of water a day thirsty or not..just drink. Half your body weight in ounces in water. Take a good b complex and do magnessium flake foot soaks thirty to forty minutes a day the first week then every other day the second week. Learn yoga. Add foods bananas, avacadoes, large papaya, ginger, celery to your diet.

• Posted

And i hope you feel better. Know it is so hard when the supoort you need isnt there. We are vulnerable with this so i do send you a big hug. You need to be your own best friend in all this. Some people are just not capable of compassion or have a low tolerance. But this mess it is unfair and i know lifes unfair but this is truely unfair on many levels.
  • Posted

Hey. I entirely understand what you're going through. I have basically the same thing. On my right temple, I have a moving feeling in my temple. It also feels numb a lot of times. It's been going on for a couple months now. I hate it and it makes me feel like my symptoms aren't getting better. Although, I've been ignoring since it first started. It's still annoying but I'm just trying to continue living my life like it's not there and that it's just what happened after my body had to deal with so much adrenaline several months ago. I don't know how accurate that is, but I will keep going. Just know that someone else has what you have. smile

• Posted

I totally agree with you re: adrenline . I am exhausted from an episode of High anxeity , all that adrenaline flowing around non stop for a few weeks.. certainly takes its toll. Hence why my GP thought it was a stroke and sent me straight to hosp. But everything was clear CT scan, blood tests etc etc.. but even the thought that it could have been spiralled the already high anx way off the scale. 

The numbness and crawly weird feeling is unpleäant but not life threatening. 

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.