Afraid to be alone

Posted , 9 users are following.

When my mother went through peri, she had panic attacks and could not be alone at all.  I've been having peri symptoms for over two years.  They've really set in this last year, especially depression and being afraid to be alone.  Does anyone else have this fear?  I live alone and only feel comfortable now when at work or spending time with family.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I'm the same way, it was really really bad, the reason is because I didn't want to be alone in case I had an episode. I've been a little better. But I still freak out if I'm alone at times.

• Posted

That's part of it for me, too, worrying that something will happen that I can't handle.  I'm glad you're feeling a little better.

• Posted

Hi Liz, I also live a lone but learn to live with being panicky it's not nice but there's nothing I can do..when ever I feel it coming on I just get up move around and distract my mind talk to myself and that works for me....I had last year call out emergency services just had a check over in the Ambulance and came back in and went straight to bed sleep it off, i really know how you feel call someone when you get that way and see how you feel ok ((((((HUGS))))))

• Posted

It sounds like the ambulance check-up helped you out of your panic at that moment.  I had to go to the GP once with panic and they confirmed peri.  Good suggestion about distraction and reaching out to others.  I will try both!
  • Posted

Aaaww Liz I'm so sorry!! I'm the same way!! I don't live alone but when my husband is away I feel the same way as you. If I know I will be alone for the night I start stressing from the day before!! So scared something will happen to me!! Usually I will read my book and I will put a funny movie on along with a cup of lavender or chamomile tea..it works not always but most times!! Feel better xxxxxx

• Posted

Hope you feel better, too!  Will try these ideas.
  • Posted

Hi Liz,

Its timely you posed this questions since I was sitting at the computer about to google some twinge and feed my health anxiety.

I feel like you do, concerned about being alone with my brain. I live alone.  And my health anxiety gets so bad I go to work on the weekends and holidays.  My thinking is, "if I die, someone will find me here." And going to work gives me focus  that being alone in the house with my mis-firing brain does not.

Exercise helps some, but not as much as it used to before peri. But I still try to stick with it because skipping exercise is a panic disaster.

I did start taking an open source course online (translation: free) on Richard III and another on Shakespeare that I am using to occupy my mind in a constructive way when I'm at home.  

• Posted

Thank you, this is exactly how I feel.  Going to work takes my mind off of it mostly because my job requires a lot of attention to detail and there are lots of people in the office.  It is a very social place.  I usually do lots of walking for exercise, which helps.  Unfortunately, I fell and sprained my ankle yesterday coming in from work.  I'm going today, though, with ankle brace and cane, because there's no way I can sit home all day with just me and my mind, as you said.  That would just make it worse.

• Posted

Oh, no! I'm so sorry about your ankle!  

Please be extra patient and kind with yourself. Though you'll be up and around like normal in no time, sometimes even a minor injury like an ankle sprain can exacerbate health anxiety.  At least that's how it is for me! I have Invisalign braces and the way I panic about them is an absolute embarassment. 

Please know we are all here for you! XXOO

• Posted

You're right... even small things tend to seem big.  The ankle is improving, but I definitely have to be patient and try not to panic.

• Posted

I feel that way every day since this mess started. My mom went through the same thing. I don't like to do anything alone anymore. If I have to go somewhere alone I try to get done as fast as possible so I can get back to being around someone. I take showers now with my bathroom door open, I have to have my tv on while falling alseep and I stay on the phone alot talking to someone. I pray we all get throught it quickly.

• Posted

Hi Liz,

Yes, I have experienced the same thing. I starting

getting peri symptoms about 6 months ago, and it

Started with heart palps, shortness of breath, dizziness,

Chest pains, and a whole list. All these symptoms

Created anxiety for me and I was afraid to be alone or

Get on the subway. The heart palps made me freak out.

Im not feeling as terrible lately so it's dissipated a bit but yes, I definitely experienced it and some days still feel that way.

I try to distract myself by watching tv or reading and not

think About it. Ive been prescribed anxiety pills but Im not

A fan of taking medicine so trying to conquer this own my own. Hope this helps. You are not alone.

• Posted

Hey there  I was just like you last year and had no clue what was going on till my mother was like yup you are going thru "the change".  The feeling of panic, not wanting to be by myself, and then I would be like I have to get out the house etc.  It is awful, however it does get better. When this would happen to me during the day when I wasnt working I would go to my mothers house and it was nice having her there etc. 

Once I was put on BCP & with my accupuncture this almost 99 percent went away.  It does "popup " once in a great while but only last for a minute or two.  Hang in there... When you get the feeling maybe try and go for a walk, walk around a store or some place like you like and feel comfortable.   Keep your chin up it will get better.  We are strong women, we can do anything we set our minds too...   smile

• Posted

It definitely helps to be with family.
  • Posted

Hello I'm diane nearly 2 years no period out the blue had this anixety attack I live alone fear set in thinking all kinds of things thinking I was dieing got heath anxiety hated being alone didn't want to come home

• Posted

Hi Diane, I know how you feel.  The fear and anxiety are rough.  It's good that we can talk here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.