Afraid to take Celexa (Citalopram)?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've just been prescribed this drug for anxiety and depression (1/2 a 20mg tab for 7 days and then full tab once a day). I have suffered from anxiety for years and more recently depression. It's my first ever anti-depressant and I'm weary of taking it because of the side effects but also because I think my depression is due to some questionable moral decisions I've made in my younger life. I always feel like the past is sneaking up on me even though I've moved away from those bad choices and worked hard to be better. Also my mother is dying of Mad Cow Disease. Can a drug like this work for me? It seems a lot of people who are prescribed anti-depressants don't really know why they feel depressed, they just do. 

Thanks!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kelska

Sorry to hear of your emotional time with your mother - a very difficult time for you all indeed xxxx

Yes this drug can help you.  I suffered with anxiety and depression for 15 years and had been on various anti depressants during that time with no success.  When I was put onto Citalopram I recovered completely and have been well ever since.  SSRI's definitely work for me, and also for a lot of other people too.

You won't feel any benefit immediately, as they're slow working.  Many people start feeling the benefit after about 3-4 months.  That's seems a long time but for me it was short time compared to the time I'd been ill.  You may feel worse to start with, but that's only a side effect and will wear off.  As you recover your mood might be up and down too - it sometimes feels as if you're back at the start.  That's normal and will pass.

Often people are depressed because they have low levels of serotonin in their body.  Low levels make us depressed, anxious, lacks motivation and a whole host of other effects.  SSRI's hang onto this neurotransmitter before being released into the brain making you feel happier.

Wishing you the best.

K xx

• Posted

Have you just changed your name?  As I replied your name changed 😉
  • Posted

Hi celexa does miracles,, it has done it for me was depressed for years, now so happy.
  • Posted

hi may i suggest such groups on facebook who can help with anxiety?? it's great to listen to other people who have been in the same situaion, such like this page but ive found it works great.. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.