after 15 years I'm finally coming off methadone and starting Suboxone

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a recovering heroin addict, and have been on Methadone for 10years. Over the last 6months I've reduced my methadone daily intake from 6ml down to 10 my, and on Tuesday 8th July I start on the suboxone My partner has been through this programme before and assures me that I will be fine but I'm still a little worried. I haven't been opiate free since 1999. Would love someone reassurance from anyone who has been through the same thing. I don't intend to be on the suboxone for long...I'm thinking no more than 16weeks. Please bear I mind that i have serious mental health issues and I'm on anti psychotics for the remainder of my life. Thanks for reading this :-)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I jumped from 35mg methadone to 16mg sub bit strange at first but nothing at all to sorry about it's getting of the subs that's hard that's where I'm at but apparently much less harsh to detox from good luck brother it's not to bad at all honestly I was very sceptical about the swap at first
  • Posted

hi ur doing well I am in the same boat been on heroin, methadone, for 20 yrs crack too, 6yrs ago stopped h, stayed on meth , thenstopped crack 4 yrs ago . 1 yr ago I switched from meth to 8mg subs and slowlly reduced started feeling a bit crap when down to 2mg but got down to 0.4 mgits been 11days now v no strenghth or energy but as I sufferes depression b4 I never did Any excercise none , so I advìse u get fit 1st b4 u stop its not easy but easier than a methadone detox , good luck x
  • Posted

I just want to wish you all the very best with the transition. I think it's amazing and I think your eagerness to cut down and eventually quit is a good thing. Just don't put too much pressure on yourself. You're are already making amazing progress just by readin your post. I'm not an expert and I've never been on methadone but I'm on the suboxone program. So if you have any questions I'll try my best to answer. All the very best Lee-Ann smile
  • Posted

iv been on opiates since 1994! on methadone till sept last yr I weaned from 8o to 1iswitched to subutex at 8mg an dropped 2mg every mth, at 2mg an less got bad cravings but contd all way to 0.4mg my dw sed it wud be easy an compared to detoxin off meth it not as bad on day 18 now an major wds over but zero energy and strenghth and no concentration hope my advice helpful , good luck u can do it x
  • Posted

in my experience I had I bad day between meth an starting sub,16 wk may be rushing a bit buf it deoends wot dose u start at good luck ul b fine xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.