After 16 weeks following hallux valgus and akins proceedure

Posted , 6 users are following.

I went to see my surgeon today because I had a hot and more than usual swollen foot, he thought it was that I had probably overdone it and it was my body telling me to rest, however he sent me for an x-ray. He rang me later to tell me the site of my osteotomy had fractured and I needed to come and have a back slab fitted and crutches fot 6 weeks. I am so fed up, I have been so careful and can't remeber knocking it. Has anyone else been in the same situation?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Oh not good. So does this involve more surgery? Hopefully not. And have you been feeling like something was wrong for a while or is it a new injury? Hope you get better soon smab97
    • Posted

Yes I have felt like something wasn't quite right, but everyone says you need to be patient and that there will be pain and swelling. It's not clear whether the fracture has ever healed as it is on the long bone below the joint, all the other bits have healed well. No surgery for now just a surgical boot and no foot movement for 6 weeks. Taking extra calcium even though my diet is rich and varied.
    • Posted

I had app this morning as i was feeling pain in my toe whilst walking through my steps. He gave me antibiotics though as foot quite hot and a bit more swollen. Really worried about having to take them.
    • Posted

Sorry Margot missed your reply, hope you did take the antibiotics and that you are now feeling much better.

• Posted

Oh no. What a nightmare, poor you. I'm  a week ahead of you so can totally relate to how you must be feeling, to have got this far and then this happens.  So sorry.  Hopefully you're not going to need another op. Take good care. 
    • Posted

Thanks Bee for your kind words, feeling very tearful and upset, thought my progress was going well, was back to 60% of my hours at work, and getting back to do the things I enjoy doing. But hey what's 6 weeks in a lifetime. I had a reality wakeup when a friend who has MS called me, and she has had a relapse, far worse. Sometimes we need to look at what others have to go through on a daily basis to realise how insignificant our troubles are in comparison. Sorry that was a bit of a rant.
  • Posted

Hi Smab so sorry to hear your news. I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. John
  • Posted

Boot on and pumped up to hold ankle, look like a storm trooper. Looking at the x-ray today the damage doesn't look too bad so hopefully will mend sooner than later. Will be x-rayed again in 4 weeks. Fingers crossed
    • Posted

Better news today, that's good. Hope it will heal quickly, all crossed for you. 
    • Posted

Thanks Bee, nearly a week in doing everything I should so hopefully will heal now and than start recovery again.
  • Posted

Ok 4 1/2 weeks in strom trooper boot and good news no further surgery needed and 50% healed. Another appointment in 3 or 4 weeks to check but hopefully will be fully mended. Unfortunately, I am going to have to cancel our holiday to Turkey, but, I am trying to be pragmatic and tell myself that I will enjoy it so much more next year when my foot is mended and all this is just a memory!
    • Posted

WOOOHOOO!! That's great news,  so pleased for you all's looking good, will keep all crossed for your next appointment, post and let us know how you get on.  Real shame about your holiday........you'll have to think of iit as gained time for you to expand your new shoe wardrobe before the holiday next year!!!! 
    • Posted

HI Smab. good to hear that your foot is on the mend. What happened to you is one of my worst nightmare - secondary fracture leading to extended recovery. I've been doing my darnest not to knock my toes. But like you mentioned, you have been very careful about your feet. So what gives?

So that I know the signs to look out for, did you experience unusually "hot and swollen" feet FOR A FEW DAYS befoe going to see the Dr? The reason I am asking is, my feet swell more on some days than the others. So, how would I know if I have an accidental fracture?

• Posted

That is exactly the point in this recovering the swelling is up and down, It felt no different to any other day other than it was a little more swollen not particularily painful but it was red.

Another appointment in 1 1/2.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.