after 17 weeks still lots of pain and swelling from bunionectomy nickel allergy?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Going to new doctors now to see how the first surgeon screwed up my bunionectomy...went to PT last night and therapist never saw anything as ugly as what my foot looks like..has anyone on this site ever had an allergic reaction to the nickel in the screws that were implanted?  This whole ordeal has been a total nightmare...and the beauty of it is the surgeon is blaming ME!!  What a cockroach.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Sorry to hear that you are still in distress . Just  wondering how you got on today? Any end in sight? 
  • Posted

what a pity!  I have never heard of this allergy. The surgeon should be using titanium screw as compared to others. Titanium screw is more stable but i think its very much expensive. I have 3 titanium screw in my left toe would  prefer them forever in my toe.Siti.
    • Posted

most of the screws ARE made of titanium but the manufacturers (Stryker) et al...put a nickel alloy in the screw to make more money (you know, business ethics)...some people have allergic reactions to nickel...I happen to be one of the lucky ones...I'm staring down two MORE surgeries...one to remove the screws (if that's what has caused the problem) and one more surgery to replace the screws with titanium ONLY....gotta love corporations...doing well, by doing good
    • Posted

So sad to know that you have to face double pain and double charges.

No choice you have to go through it in order to avoid other complication such as blood pollution. 

• Posted

Very strange they use nikkel. In earrings it is not allowed, because of the allergies. I also have a nikkelallergie, but no problem with the screws. Left foot had surgery in sept and no complications.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.