After 2 Visits with new P Therapist severe pain with any activity

Posted , 4 users are following.

7 weeks post TKR. Pain levels back to week 3. New pain in different areas. Never had pain walking now can barely take 5 steps. Took week off between visits and did home excercises. Tomorrow next appointment. How much worse is it going to get. Sitting just became comfortable for short periods 2 weeks ago. Lost that too. I get it is a long recovery and yes I have to have patience but I really don't think it is normal to go regress this much from physical therapy. No fever so no infection. Something is wrong. I am getting very scared and depressed

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Milla,

I am 1 week ahead of you and as the sound advice of Chicco on here it states it has to take as long as it takes.

I've been religiously following the regime and also doing pretty well but 2 days ago had horrendous pain following physio with swelling. It really made me down. I have managed it by pain relief, icing and high elevation yesterday without doing any exercidea. Not had a day off doing them sInce op but I figured it wouldn't hurt. Today I have wokenknee improved so will get back on track.

Have Rheumatoid too so guess on a bad day might need to cut back too.

Unfortunartely the painful physio is part of it make sure you dose yourself with painkillers beforehand.Has he added static bike in yet as I found this in short bursts helped loosen up things and with pain and swelling.

By all accounts it's a long haul but we will get there whatever side of the 'Bell curve ' we fall. Read Chicos posts they cheer u up!

Take care

Jan

• Posted

Thanks Jan. I am starting the stationary bike tomorrow. I called my surgeon this morning. I asked before but this time he was the one that said I needed to start anti- inflammatory meds. After high dose the pain is much better just in one day. He did however say that I need an ultrasound to rule out arthrofibrosis so I will be doing that before the next 10 days. Hope not. Good luck to you!
  • Posted

Advances, setbacks and plateaus...which are the absolute worse.  You think you're stuck for good.  Took weeks to break through from -4 and get to -1.  This is not easy and takes a lot of time.  Be prepared for any and all eventualities.

"It don't come easy.  You know it don't come easy..." - Ringo Starr

• Posted

certainly not easy. This is a roller coaster. My progress is up and down all the time. Last week celebrated when I reached 110 bend. 3rd Day after physio my knee is "frozen". Feels like some one put a clamp around my knee. The pain makes it feel like it has been going on forever.

• Posted

The tightness (stiffness) is normal and could last quite a while.  Don't judge short-term.  Look at your recovery in a longer time span. "Hey, I feel better than I did last month!"

• Posted

I'm 9 weeks today . My physical and surgeon say the pain and some degree of stiffness will remain for up to 12 to 18 months. I find ice and elevation helps after exercise and also static bike to get movement back. If your fixed rock back and forth on it for 5 minutes then cycle for 5 ton loosen. This geys rid if the tight feeling too. If it doesn't loosen see your doctor but bet it will. I'm have rheumatoid arthritis too and have learnt to manage it don't let it managet you but I still.have down days in this tkr rehab process it's normal.

You'll have good days and bad days. However the exercises are vital .

All the best, Jan

• Posted

Thanks useful timescales no one gives you targets pre-op. It's good yoor daughter has that knowledge.

My target long term is to get back to cycling 10 to 20 miless. Holiday booked to do this Sept so here is hoping !!!

I am being rigid with regime . Bend 120 extension - 12 to - 17 depending on swelling ( battle chronic RA inflammation too) Working with physio but surgeon is happy with that. I asked him if he got me to 0 at any reason why I can't. He sort of said yeah but you were under anasthetic !! Ha he's not had a tkr doubt he'd be happy!

My physio is doubtful that I will get to 0 as long term issue but I will try and thinks progress ahead of game.

Saying that grateful I am walking better albeit with a slight limp and at 9 weeks stairs are fine. The journey continues.

Reading on the forum it's amazing how treatment plans vary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.