After 7 months of being so ill, I'm finally starting to have some good days! So stay positive guys!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys, after the worst 7 months of my life, I am starting to finally see some improvements. I am not at all fully better and still have very bad days, however, I am now having two good days out of seven in the week and I am praying these two days shall turn to three if I keep resting, eat a very good diet, take loads of supplements and do not drink alcohol. I was diagnosed back in early May in my finals at university, however, the doctors think I had glandular fever for months before then as I was so ill. I have had a very rough journey, where I had to cancel all my holidays, spent weeks in hospital, had to pull of out of my PGCE to train to become a teacher and had zero social life. I started to feel slightly better after 4 months, however, had the most awful relapse at 5 months! Where I had to go back into hospital, was bed bound for three weeks, spent the majority of the time on a drip and didn't see anyone and couldn't do anything. This was the worst month I'd had with my glandular fever and I hit an all time low, as I just didn't think I would ever get better and got so depressed. Despite feeling so low, I remained determined to fight this horrible virus, and ate as healthy as I could, never drank alcohol, rested all day and tried to remain as positive as I could, especially when I saw small hopeful progressions. Two months on, I'm finally seeing some changes and I have never felt so healthy and full of energy on my good days! I honestly believe a positive attitude, rest, a good diet and no alcohol are the catalyst behind this change. You are what you eat with this virus, therefore if you're putting goodness and healthy food into your body its only going to boost your immune system and make you stronger. For me personally, not drinking alcohol has really helped, as when I had a glass of wine it made my glands come up huge and I felt so rubbish the next day, you really need to treat your body as a temple! I still had some bad days last week and shall continue too until my body completely builds up the resistance to overcome this horrible virus, however, I just wanted to share my story to show that it does get better and you will eventually have some good days, so please please please stay positive ! I've still got a long way to go until I'm better but if you're having a relapse then stay positive, as you'll come through it much stronger on the other side. Also, if you do have a good day, then do as little as possible as this is when your body is its strongest, therefore if you rest and save energy your body gets stronger to fight the infection and gradually this one good day shall turn to two and then to three etc. Although you may feel like you want to go and do all the things you've been missing out on with your glandular fever on a good day, like a full day of shopping then try to RESIST! As honestly rest is what your body needs on a good day! I'm not talking about staying in bed, you can go for a short walk, read a book in the garden or invite your friend over for a movie or a chat but just don't push yourself! STAY POSITIVE GUYS!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

That's good to hear Jess and great advice. I'm approaching month 8 now and seeing a much better improvement. I still get little dizzy spells and my legs go to jelly, but only lasts an hour or two around mid day. I think I had my relapse arou nd month 6.5, and spent about a month recovering from it. My head feels alot clearer now and can feel myself starting to miss things in my life...where as before I didn't care about any of it. I'm back at work now and I think it has helped me lots with the anxiety I was having. it seems to have cleared away completely. But I will still continue to take it easy. I'm also on zero alcohol and haven't had a drop for 8 months.

• Posted

thats amazing jess!! so happy for you ! i am at the 6 month mark and had 2 'ok' days also. not sure what today is going go be like .....yet.

and yes you are so right .... keep your life simple and just do the minimum eat healthy and boost your immune system.

i know you have suffered so much and missed out on many things ... me too had to cancel a trip to europe. i truly believe that once this nightmare is over we will all go on to lead full and happy lives.. possibly better than ever !

i havent given up my glass of wine at night as it relaxes me and gives me a mental break.

lets hope you are on the road to recovery from this AWFUL EVIL virus .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.