After 7 months of ETD, a stupidly simple solution

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

"Punched in the head and held under water", I say when someone asks about my ETD symptoms – eardrum pressure and roaring tinnitus.

No infection or sinus congestion, my tubes just stopped working 7 months ago. Doctors gave me the usual steroid spray, antihistamine, antiboitic treatment, to no avail. I thought it might be just a mechanical problem – I carry a fair bit of tension upstairs, so I got regular massages for my shoulders, neck, face and head. Massage helped, but not enough. It couldn't taget the deeply-buried  eustacian tube area ( although apparently osteopaths use the "Muncie Technique" – a massaging of the tonsils, to get to the ET area and open and clear the tubes). I tried it on myself and nearly threw up. Then I tried it with my electric toothbrush, and did throw up.

I was on a long drive 4 days ago and was wondering how I could stimulate (or relax?) the area around the tubes without shoving something down the throat ( this area is made up of soft tissue – adenoids, soft palate and also the pharyngeal muscles). Some of this stuff could be vibrated while others could be consciously activated. So I started humming vigourously, mouth shut, searching for the best quality of drone to vibrate the upper throat, nasal cavity and ears. Once I found that, I modified the sound by using (also vigourously) any of the available muscles, throwing the "voice" all over the place. Do not do this in polite company – you will sound like some deranged Nepalese throat singer on a didgeridoo. I kept this up for about 40 mins (til I started to hit a bit of traffic and needed to concentrate). To my suprise, and utter delight, my ears have been near-perfect since. I'm doing a few minutes of the exercise daily while walking the dog or having a shower.

Give it a try and let me know how you go. I hope it works for you.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Brendan, my problem is different to yours as it is a patulous (open) eustachian tube but your above account makes absolutely fascinating reading.  I have little faith left in doctors after a lifetime of illness and have learnt over the years that one has to do most of the work oneself and this is what you have done.  Thank you for sharing; who knows how many others you may help!  Well done, indeed! 
    • Posted

Thanks for the encouragement , Maureen, although I imagine this particular technique would be torturous for you, given your condition. Have you found anything that works for you?
    • Posted

I knew what was wrong with me two years ago but got the official diagnosis only two audiologists and two ENTs later, this past April.  The ENT I saw then told me to put on weight.  At 72 I now weigh 58 kg; at 18 I weighed 64 kg - not a big difference, so I was a bit sceptical.  I came across a short piece on Utube recently, however, where that ENT said as little as 3 lbs (= 1.4 kg) can make a difference.  I have malabsorption and food intolerance issues but I am stuffing in the food and trying to add on a few kg.  Rather ironic in this age of obesity and diabetes!  If it works, I will certainly be posting!  Thank you for asking.
  • Posted

I'm trying this now Brendan 67908 & I can feel a certain amount of vibration in both ears.I'll continue to do it & advise this site if I get anything positive from it.

• Posted

Thanks, Michael. Good luck. Let me know if you come up with any variations that work.
  • Edited

Dear Brendan, I have menieres with various sounds of tinnitus plus clicking and hyperacusis. Over the years I have leaned to try and live with it. However I recently woke up to roaring tinnitus which vibrates to external noise. Absolutely horrible! I have searched various sights and  came across your post. I have just tried this humming and it is very uncomfortable but sometime we have to work through the storm. I will give you feedback as Im starting this method today.  I have no faith in my dr or the two ENTS who i am under due to existing problem. On my  last visit I got a pat on the shoulder and was told to "Grin and bare it". Im so glad the breathing technique worked for you and hope it does help others too.....worth a try!

The reason I typed in my symptoms is for others to know they are not alone. Good luck to everyone.....here I go humming through the day >>>>

ps.Thankyou for sharing .

• Edited

Dear Susan,I've tried humming too & although it gives me a feeling in my ears that I hadn't experienced before (a sort of tickling feeling).In reality  it hasn't done anything at all to relieve the pressure in my head & ears.

Michael

• Posted

Hi Susan. I had my symptoms (similar to yours) for only 7months. I'm in awe of your ability to put up with them for so long. My hearing cleared the day I stimulated the ET area with vibration and muscle movement. Still clear 2 weeks later. I'm still playing occasionally (though I don't need to) with the technique, trying to figure out what I did right. Michael mentions the tickling ears– I get that too with a particular frequency hum.

Have a look at a diagram of the eustachion tube area so you can visualise what you need to vibrate and which muscles you should try to activate. I just do anything with humming, droning or vocalising to wake up those lazy tubes. Good luck and let us know how you go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.