After 8 weeks with Pityriasis Rosea, this is what worked for me.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm not one to ever post on forums, but after being completely discouraged (to the point of tears) by PR, I knew I had to share my story...and share that there is an end to this awful virus!!

About 8 weeks ago, I noticed a small patch on my shoulder that my PCP diagnosed (2 weeks later) as ringworm (assuming it was from working out at the gym). She told me to get an over the counter anti-fungal cream and call it a day. No spoiler alert here, but it did nothing since I was wrongfully diagnosed.

About a week to a week and a half after my PCP appointment, I started noticing small red bumps/patches popping up all around my shoulders, neck and chest. As days went on, I noticed more and more and they started to itch. After doing some digging online, I figured I had PR. I started using coconut oil, oatmeal baths, aloe gel (straight from the leaf), and ordered prreeze cream. All of the natural remedies helped to soothe the itch and inflammation tremendously. 

I went to a dermatologist and she diagnosed me with PR right away. She wanted to give me a steriod injection, an anti-inflammatory injection and wrote me prescription for a topical steriod cream. I refused all of it at the time, thinking I could beat it with some at-home remedies.

About another week went by and the bumps just got worse. I was doing all my natural remedies and using the Prreeze cream, but nothing seemed to prevent more bumps from showing up. They were EVERYWHERE. All over my stomach, chest, thighs, arms, neck, scalp, back, shoulders, etc. This is where I hit my breaking point. I just looked in the mirror and cried. The itch started to get unbearable too. So, I caved and got the prescription for the topical steriod cream.

Within hours of using the steroid cream, the redness had significantly reduced and the itchinig was basically non-existent. I applied the cream twice per day and the rash subsided significantly every single day. I stopped applying to spots that fell flat and only focused on the raised spots. Within a week, all of my spots had turned flat. And now, a couple weeks later, my spots are finally TOTALLY gone. 

It seems like everyone's experience with PR is different. For some, Prreeze cream and natural remedies do the trick. For others, medication is necessary. For me, it was starting to escalate so quickly that I knew the steroids would help to stop it dead in its tracks. I'm so grateful I caved and filled my prescription. 

For those of you in the thick of it...know there is an end!! I promise you'll get through it, one way or another.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi! Thanks for sharing your story. It gives me hope. I'm going on my 5th week now and seems unbearable. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't on my face. But it is and I feel like I can't even go out anywhere because not even makeup can cover it without looking gross and cakey. So did yours last 8 week's total?

• Posted

Hi! Yes there’s hope!! I was exactly where you are now, feeling so hopeless, but it will go away. I would say the worst of it was around weeks 5-6 and everything started to fade after that. Now I can barely see anything and I’m at week 8.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.