After a long wait actually got a date

Posted , 6 users are following.

After 7 months of waiting for gallbladder surgery i had a call yesterday to go for the pre op today. Well the date i have this is december 3rd. Everything happened so fast it's only just beginning to sink in. After reading some of the posts on here i'm feeling a bit nervous about the outcome but would be happy to have any advice on what happens after the op. Eg what to eat,how long does it take to get back to normal etc. Any advice would be useful.

3 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Its been 3 weeks since my op. I can only say my experience in the hospital was very good. I came home the same day and was on pain killer for 3 days and then I was fine with out them. I started eating normal on day 4.

I mean normal, anything goes..I get some cramps/indigestion after I eat but it does pass very quick. I was told that it will take a month to settle down.

I dont eat Lamb and beef chunks, but I do have mince. Maybe its a mental thing but I try and eat what I think my stomach does not have to struggle with. Also I try and mix alot of fruit and yougurt into my diet, just dont want to get into the same bad eating habits as before I was diagnosed with Gallstones.

On the forum there are a lot of people who are struggling and I believe not all of the symptoms you had before may go away with the operation as there maybe other underlying issues. I had pancretitis before the operation from a gallstone.

Since the op, i still have a dull Pancreas pain, it hasnt gone away. So I will plan to go to the doctors soon to tell them about that. But that may take time to settle down, which I understand.

I am looking forward to Christmas Dinner this year :-)

Good luck.

Ajay

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Good to hear you're doing so well.

• Posted

Mine was a piece of cake I was surprised how easy it was but now when I eat fat or dairy it hurts so I had too go on bile supplements with every meal and this really helped because is like soap it dissolves the fat.Good luck I was nervous too but it was really easy.
    • Posted

Hi Peggy i notice you take bile supplements with every meal. Which ones do you take? Had gallbladder out 3 weeks ago and doing fine trying to avoid fats but last night had some red meat and now got a lot of pain in chest. My own fault but thought i would give it a try. Would the bile supplements help? Jill
    • Posted

Jill my naturapathic dr put me on Bilemin you can get it on Amazon it really helps but since I had my gallbladder out I found out I can't eat sauage or I will have bad cramps ad diarrhea it is too much fat and I don't have bile anymore so I take a supplement with my meals I had mine out this Spring and am doing good but eating too much and gaining weight don't like that anyway everyone is different and when I find out what food I can't eat I don't eat it because our digestive system is entirely different now.

• Posted

Thanks Peggy i'll give it a try. My own fault i ate red meat and really suffered yesterday. It's only been 3 weeks so i suppose its early days. You're right everyone is different. Will let you know how i get on. Jill

• Posted

Jill listen too Dr. Bob Marshall on Youtube and google his site he has a lot of good information and product for the gallbladder I use and it really helps you can even listen too a lot of his show on his site,
  • Posted

Hi Jill, finally got a date for 29th of this month after a lot of dialogue!

?It is a bit scary when it finally becomes more real, isn't it? I hope all is going OK with your recovery. From what I have seen and read, I'm going in for this with my eyes open and hoping for the best! It will be a different Christmas, as was the last one! A cousin's daughter is expecting a second baby over the holidays as well.

?I will update when I can, in the meantime, take care, Cynthia x

• Posted

Hi Jill

?Just to let you know that I finally had my surgery today and am home and so far, so good. It was keyhole and seemed routine. I think the surgeons were also catching up today.

I wanted to ask you what pain killers you had after yours. So far I'm only paracetamol and coping but they gave me codeine at night and I understand it can be bad for the bile ducts after a chole, I'm scared to take it in case as ppl hve had severe reactions to iy.

?How are you faring?

?I'm very tired but GA always gives me insomnia, plus a dry mouth this time.

?Wishing you an early Happy New Year, Jill. This year seems to have been challenging in many ways to many ppl, so lets hope for some calmer waters ahead.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia good to hear from you. Pleased all went well. Bet you're glad its over. It's 4weeks now since my op and must say i am starting to feel my normal self. I found the worse thing i had was tiredness. I was talking to a nurse and she said it takes about 6 weeks to get over it. As far as painkillers i wouldn't take codeine myself. I took paramol. Its a bit stronger than paracetamol but doesn't upset the stomach. I only took. them for a couple of days. If you need any more info don't hesitate to ask. Take care and do rest. Happy new year to you. You deserve it. Jill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.