After a year I have now been diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am due to start treatment on my return to UK next week.  They are going to give me Methotrexate/folic acid.  I have been advised that there will be regular blood tests to check what is happening.  I am a little scared at the unknown and would like to know what sort of reaction I will get other than the side effects.........

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. Sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with RA. I was diagnosed in May 2013 and I am on Methotrexate 15mgs weekly plus folic acid one tablet taken 3 days after the MTX. The MTX took about 10 weeks to take full effect but I had a couple of steroid injections to see me through. I have a slight feeling of nausea which comes and goes but only for the day after I take it, and I feel a bit tired and fuzzy headed on that day too, but then it passes, so it's worth one off-day to be pain free for the rest of the week. Make sure you take them about an hour after your evening meal, don't lie down afterwards to make sure they go right down, and you'll be fine. Methotrexate is considered to be the 'gold standard' drug for RA treatment and I've heard of many people who've taken it for five or ten years. Good luck with your treatment and hope you feel some improvent soon. Angela. 
  • Posted

Hi. I forgot to say that just because some people get side effects doesn't mean that you will too. Many people don't get any, so try not to dwell on what might never happen!  Angela 
  • Posted

Yes, I agree with Angela I have been on it for about six months and life is more or less back to normal. The only complaint I have is that, in my case, the Methotrexate took so long to work. However it has done an excellent job and, apart from a bit of a runny nose, there are no real side effects, I don't (touch wood) even have the nausea. Keep your chin up the expectation is always far worse than the reality.
    • Posted

And I've been on it for eight years. Doing fine. Just lost a bit of hair.
  • Posted

Hi. I've been in Methotrexate for eight years now. I did initially have some problems with slight nausea but my rheumatology nurse changed me over to injections instead of tablets and everything was fine.  

Dont be afraid of methotrexate, it will become your best friend but sometimes there are adjustments to be made initially I.e. Dosage etc. I dread to think of the state I would be in without it.

good luck

• Posted

I just take additional folic acid (every day except MTX day) and that stopped the nausea for me. Still sometimes get tired but I'm a bit rubbish at slowing down and keep tending to push everything too far...
  • Posted

Thank you all for your replies.  I have just had a call to say my clinic on the 8th has been cancelled! and rebooked for 16th, there are no cancellations so I will just have to wait until then. 10 weeks is a long while but I will just have to be patient I guess.  I am on steroids at the moment decreasing down and on naproxen for the stiffness so maybe a 'head start' I will just have to wait and see.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.