After Ankle Surgery..

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 18 days post Ankle surgery (pic is attached). and I feel frustrated and afraid that I'll not walk again as normal or will not run in my life, I'm 35 years old. 

I got two questions:

1) is there anyone can read the attached X-ray and tell me if it's promising?

2) in 4 weeks the doctor is going to remove the 2 screws, is this a recommended action?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Looks like your doctor got good alignment and you're young, you should heal well. If its your doctors practice to remove them, you probably should do so, but I would get a second opinion if you have any doubts. 

?I'm 63 and had bimalleolar surgery "(broke both bones) at the ankle. My hardware wont come out, but I have a plate and screws on one side (fibula) and two screws on the other holding the ends of the tibia in place.

?It feels like your life is ruined now and frankly, it will for the next couple  months- but you will walk again. I'm only 3 months out so my walking isn't "normal" yet-I can only walk slowly but its getting better. It's a hard road and I've had to learn patience. Start physical therapy as early as your doctor will let you.

• Posted

Tricia...I just read your post and saw that your surgery was 3 months ago as mine was and exactly like mine. I am 72 and going to PT twice a week but still not walking normally either. My biggest problem is that I’m still having pain every day and especially at night my foot feels like it is on fire with such a burning sensation that it keeps me awake. Are you having anything like that?
    • Posted

It did. It I’ve started to wear a compression sticking on that leg in the daytime, and I massage the foot ankle and leg at night in upwards motion to get the lymphatic system to drain. Then ice that ankle for 20 minutes with it elevated. That does the trick
    • Posted

how long did you make the surgery? and how normally do you walk now? 
  • Posted

I'm assuming they plan on taking those 2 big screw out that go between 2 bones. It's not uncommon for surgeons to take those screws out, as they do have the possibility of breaking later on.  I have one screw in that place and do not plan to take it out unless it causes me problems. There's different thoughts on taking out the screw in that place. I broke my ankle in 3 places and dislocated it.  I have a plate with 6 screws and 2 or 3 additional screws keeping it all together.  I'm 3.5 months from injury. I'm walking slowly and with a limp, but it's getting better.  I use a cane most of the time right now, but each day is better and I'm able to use less and less.  I plan to be able to run again, though I do expect it to take quite a while to be able to do so. You have to be patient and put in the hard work once you're able to walk again, but you should be able to walk normally.  It's hard work.  Once you can walk again, you essentially have to teach yourself how to walk again and how to walk correctly. The body automatically tries to protect what you injured and minimize pain, which will only cause you problems in the long run. Listen to your doctors.

• Posted

I wish you will be back to running soon, I am also concerned about my doctor recommended me to start putting weights in the 3th week, all resources on the internet say we should not start Weight Bearing until week 6. what's your thought about it? I'm scared to even to try to put pressure on my leg. 

• Posted

I belong to a Facebook group for people with broken ankles. I have heard some people talk about weight bearing very early. I think it depends on the exact type of break.  Some doctors believe that the act of weight bearing encourages bone growth.  I would ask your doctor more questions about why they are asking you to do weight bear so early.
  • Posted

Taking the screws out increases your mobility, so it is usually recommended I believe. You’ll walk and run again. I’m 9 weeks along with my break and I’m still not cleared to run or do any impact activity at all, and I’m 22. Things take time of course but it will be worth it in the long RUN, get it? Run. 
    • Posted

do you walk normally as before in the 9 weeks? when did you start the weight bearing? because my doc advises to start right away in the 3 weeks. 
  • Posted

Kilany,

Wish I could send you complete reassurance on your outcome, but it would be glib for me to suggest you that you will running competitive marathons sometime in near future.

Your question about the x-ray is best answered by your attending physician.

All that said, in your age you have an helpful advantage in healing a busted up ankle. The unknowns to speculate about are the extent and severity of soft tissue damage you may have sustained from your accident (nerve endings, ligaments, tendons, muscles, and all the intricate connective tissue found in ankle). Also, will your final ankle alignment after surgery and recovery be conducive to healthy ankle function and walking?

I encourage you to be an aggressive proactive partner with your practitioner in your recovery. But once your bones are mended you are pretty much on your own as far ankle rehab goes. So if you really want to run again as you said it would behoove you to leave no rock uncovered as to what it might take to get a full recovery.

Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Thank you for the motivational words, I am very frustrated for being home doing nothing, I have missed some business trips and have no clue when I'll be going back to life. 

• Posted

I am 9 weeks post surgery and had 10 screws and a plate inserted. The surgeon fame me a timeline for recovery:

2 weeks in back slab cast with foot elevated 23 hours a day.

cast and stitches removed and into moon boot ( no weight bearing)

7 weeks post op - standing X Ray to see if bones have healed

start partial weight bearing walking in moon boot and  commence physical therapy for four weeks

11 weeks post up - walking without aid, in normal shoes 

12 weeks post op - remove screws.

Currently I have progressed to walking in two shoes with a cane. At 8 weeks I was able to stand on my own two feet and Mt mobility is improving daily.

a very frustrating thing to have happen. Hang in there. Things do improve. 

• Posted

If the screws are just temp screws then they have to come out. I have one screw that’s gonna come out in May. As once my leg heals it gonna cause more harm then good and that could be the same for you. And if the position of the screws are where the bones meet it could cause a lot of pain or even the screws snapping in half. That is why if the doctor wants to take them out. Let him take them out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.