After ankle surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone my question to everyone is this so my injury consists of a broken ankle a broken knee dislocated ankle and then I had surgery on the ankle . I was told to my surgeon to fully weight bear on it after wearing aircast. I saw my surgeon on December 23rd 2019 and he stated that I could remove the aircast and put on a shoe. my question is what shoe or running shoe did you guys use and what type of ankle brace did you guys use as well for extra support inside the regular shoe can someone please tell me. And did you guys feel any pain when you guys started walking with the runner please let me know and comment below

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

When i first was able to take my boot off, I had to borrow a pair of sneakers from my grandmother. I still had a lot of swelling, and she was a half size higher than me. They were just a pair of Nike running shoes with a wide fit.

Aside from the Nikes, i went to CVS and just got a generic ankle wrap to add extra support in my shoe. I also picked up an ankle brace from Dicks sporting goods, which included ice packs. This was a godsend when it came to icing my ankle at the end of the day and relieving some swelling.

• Posted

Yes it hurt.The ortho gave me an ankle brace and I bought a wide pair of sneakers in Walmart in my size. After I could get my foot in my regular size I bought a pair of slip on sketchers that had a good arch.

• Posted

try the compression ankle brace from walmart.. worked wonders for me. i still wear it when im running long distance. helps with swelling and ankle support

• Posted

Hi, im 10 months in from a nasty trimalleolar dislocated ankle fracture with plate and 12 screws, i found the most comfy shoes for me have been skechers slip ons, which are very stable and light. I then had removal,of all the metalwork 5 weeks ago and now back full time at work and wear skechers trainers which are also very light but feel sturdy and stable and most mportantly

comfy ! I didnt wear an ankle brace as my physio was quite against it as it wouldnt help with stiffness. GOOD LUCK !

• Posted

kitkatkay

Quick question

Im having some hardware removed from my ankle next week

How was your recovery?

I wear Skeechers as well

• Posted

sandra

the surgery was as a day case, and under general anaesthetic took about 2 hours. I was also given a nerve block in the leg above knee so my leg was all numb below the knee when i came round from the GA, as i was told it was a painful procedure. I needed to use a pair of elbow crutches

immediately after the op, and couldnt weight bear on the leg which was totally numb until the next evening! I was given a surgical shoe to wear Then i needed to take codydramol painkillers regularly for the post op pain, and used one crutch for a few more days partial weight bearing til i felt confident to go solo and wearing my trusty skecher slip ons. it was nowhere near as bad as the initial ORIF surgery so dont worry about going through that ordeal again. it was uncomfortable for 2 weeks and i rested and elevated the foot, took painkillers, and the worst part was having to leave the dressing on and not get it wet for 3 weeks, i missed my bath ! but at the 1st dressing change in clinic the wound was healing well, but had a small sore area oozing,so i had a course of antibiotics. i also saw a physio at week 3 and was given an exercise programme with a theraband, started to drive short distances and back to work by week 5. i got myself a trampette to do gentle bouncing on to strengthen my leg and ankle.

Im glad i did the surgery as my ankle feels much better and has more range of movement and less stiffness, and there is just slight numbness in a single toe. The wounds healed up nicely and were just very sore the first 3 or so weeks. im seeing my ortho Dr next week for a followup consultation and hope its positive, as he mentioned i may need an ankle fusion in the future which i really hope not. All the best with your upcoming surgery, im sure you wont regret it ! x

• Posted

Thanks kitkay!

Im only having stabilizing screw removed that goes through back if my ankle and hoping for improved range of motion

Your reply helped ease my uneasiness!

Now that Im walking and able to do my daily routine I dont want to go backwards!!!

Thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.