after anterior and posterior vaginal repair always feeling bloated, get cramps and numb down there?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi there so im 7 weeks post op and ive found the recovery super tough it has been the longest recovery ever i had no idea how bad it would be! i have had my 6 week check doctor says all is healing fine, but i a so bloated all the time and get alot of cramping in y belly is this normal being so far after operation? also the front of my vagina on the out side just doest feel the same! it like i can feel it there sorta like it feels numb or swollen just annoying? any advise would be much appreciated and its all getting my rather depressed!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI mia,

sorry to hear that you still feel rather depressed.

I had Anterior and Posterior vaginal repairs done 3 years come February 2019.

Despite the 6-8 week recovery that they quote to us its nearer 12 weeks, I dont know anyone who recovers that quick and more than often much nearer 12 weeks post op before anyone begins to feel a bit near normal and thats just with one repair; having had both back and front walls repaired can take up to 16 weeks and even then the deeper tissues can rake longer.

Looking back I returned to work far to early at 12 weeks post op and that was to early even though I was only doing a couple of short shifts being on my feet up to 5 hours rushing about didnt help.

I have now permanent problems with nippy scar tissue around the site where the stitches ended around the back edge of the vaginal passage on the left side of the perineum. Even now if I spend more that 45-60 mins on my feet, I overstretch the very thin tight tissue which stiffens up and is excruciating later on once I sit down, I also get that lower aching pain at the back of the pelvic floor and a swelling of the inner vaginal walls like they are pulling down.

Im so scared it will fail again as this was my second repair surgery and cant see how they can tighten it anymore than they have already.

I have just had to accept that I am now older and having went through the menopause that I have to slow down my lifestyle and always be careful not to overdo things. I have been unable to build up my overtime at work this time and seriously do not have enough to income to live of off, so been covering some of my household bills with savings and now struggling.

My advise is to rest and rest some more and dont be bullied into returning to work too quickly its not worth it, you will do better in the long run if you take proper time to allow proper healing; body tissues still take the same time to heal that they always have despite the fact that they try to tell us different these days.

Listen to your body and dont overdo things. Its your long term health that matters.

7 weeks is still very early especially when you have had both back and front repairs, you will gradually start to feel more normal over the next month as the swelling will gradually start to go down.

Its not really suprising when you consider that our pelvic floor supports the weight of the pelvic organs and repair surgery is major surgery. So when you get on your feet the pelvic floor like a car suspension system takes the weight and if youve just had repair surgery and tissues are trying to heal it cant help much overdoing things.

Try to be patient, small steps; short walks couple of times a day and only light household tasks dont do anything heavy that causes down pressure ever otherwise you risk undoing your repair.

Take care and good luck x

• Posted

thanks so much the the reply all makes me feel a little more normal just wosh i never had it done just want to feel normal again and not like i do atm!!

• Posted

THE RECOVERY DOES TAKE SO MUCH LONGER THAN IS INDICATED BUT HANG IN THERE. JUST HAD MY 3 month check up and finally feeling close to normal. TRY NOT TO LET THE DEPRESSION OVERTAKE YOU. IT WAS MY BIGGEST CHALLENGE BUT YOU WILL FEEL BETTER. PUT YOUR FEET UP WHEN YOU HAVE A CHANCE. IT REALLY DOES HELP. JUST REMEMBER THAT DESPITE WHAT YOU READ ON MEDICAL SITES ... 4-6 weeks is a major underestimate for recovery. COUNTS ON 4-6 months.

BLESSINGS!

• Posted

yep they really do underestimate the recovery dont they! im still getting alot of bloating and pain in the lower belly just so frustrating! thank you for the reply makes me feel a but better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.