After being diagnosed with functional disorder my GP has just refused me a sick note!

Posted , 6 users are following.

After first being told I have multiple system atrophy I have now been told I have functional illness. Just been told by my GP that as nothing is wrong with me she can’t give me a sick note! Has anyone else had this problem

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So it sounds as though they’ve found nothing wrong with you - so yes she wont be able to give you a sick note.
  • Posted

As you've had that DAT scan and been told there's nothing wrong, even after being told there was, you can't really go against what the scan tells them. A lot of conditions/ illnesses mimic others and it could be something else wrong. As your GP thinks there's nothing wrong and refuses you that fit/sick note he/she is well within their right to do this. You have your right to look for another GP who may or even may not give you that fit note you're asking for. Sorry we can't help you any further as no one here is medically trained to advice you. Good luck.

• Posted

What I should have said is this is a new GP, my old GP was perfectly happy to sign me off. Thank you for your advice
    • Posted

Can't you see your old GP. It seems very odd that your new GP is saying this. I'm assuming you still see the Neurologist that diagnosed you? Sorry but i'm confused as you say you were diagnosed and then told there's nothing wrong.

• Posted

I have a medical report from my neurologist saying I had MSA and he advised DVLA I should no longer be driving and he advised I would need help long term. He sent me after that for a DAT scan and then said the illness was functional. I now need to push for an EMG as my muscle wastage is getting worse literally daily. My new GP (old one has retired) is of the opinion that all functional illnesses are psychosomatic even though I have never suffered from anxiety or depression or any form of stress
    • Posted

Move DR's surgery if there the only one, you can do it now without too much stress, I do see where Denise is coming from, if your report contradicts what your telling your GP she/he are thinking your trying to pull a fast one, this is why you need to contact neurologist not GP if its a definite then they can reassure your GP that your genuine. Without an absolute diagnosis your Dr will only go on test results that they have in front of them

• Posted

Justin i would advise that you phone the practise manager of your surgery. Get him or her to take a look at your records and she can override any decision if they feel the need. I have had to do this before because 1 doctor made a mistake soon go rectified mind.

Hope this helps :-)

• Posted

I'm sorry but why can't you contact your Neurologist? He/she will confirm whether or not you have this, they have a huge amount more knowledge than any GP would have. This is a benefit forum and no one here is qualified to diagnose anything over the internet. I see your problem when you first posted about your fit note but stuck here you're simply going to be going round in circles with advice coming from all directions. If i were you then i certainly wouldn't be sat typing on a benefit forum, i'd be on the phone ringing my Neurologists secretary pronto.

• Posted

I did this as as soon as it was advised. I’m waiting for her to get back to me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.