After Breast Surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a lumpectomy, followed by chemo, and then radiotherapy, I have read somewhere that there is a tablet available  that can or should be given to patients that are  called "high risk" meaning that if they have had the procedure that I have they help to prevent it coming back??? am I wrong?? if not what are they called??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think you must mean Tamoxifen.   You need to discuss this with your oncologist. If you are very concerned then do have a chat with your GP. How long ago did you have the procedures? Are you in UK?
    • Posted

I am fine Marina I had my Lumpectomy in June then Chemo then Radiotherapy in Nov 2015 I got the all clear after Christmas 2016 I hav checks every 6 months and a mammogram and ultra sound every year and everything is OK but when I read that that there is a pill to prevent it coming back  I was interested to know what it was?
  • Posted

So glad to hear you are well. You are a shining example of being pro-active and getting things sorted out. I read so many queries from ladies on here who find a lump and put off getting any advice from a doctor,being afraid of surgery or the outcome.  I appreciate many of those would need to pay for any advice or surgery but speed of diagnosis is so important.  

Tamoxifen is often given to those ladies who are considered at high risk of the cancer recurring.       There are so many different classes and categories of  breast cancer that they are not all treated the same.

Mention Tamoxifen at your next check if you are still curious about it.

• Posted

Should also have mentioned a newish drug in  addition to Tamoxifen.

Herceptin has had very good results..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.