After Cast Removal

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi! i broke my ankle 4 weeks and 3 days ago had surgery the next day. i was on fiberglass cast for a total of 4 weeks. 2 days ago, i got my cast off and my doctor said i dont need another cast or a boot. it feels really weird cause it seems like everything is going pretty fast compared to most stories (maybe my fracture is less severe). but still, i feel so fragile without the cast, all they did was give me like a tubigrip (somewhat of a compression bandage) for the day, but i have to take it off at night. its still NWB for now so i just walk around with either the tubigrip or just my naked foot in crutches. no cast or anything during the night, just my plain old foot which is kind of painful to walk around without anything protecting it, feels really weird and exposed and fragile!! but i think this is a normal feeling. anyone going through this or has went through it?

and i have to start exercising it, moving it up and down and in circles but im struggling, its so hard and painful!! and its hard to tell if im making good progress. the doctor said i can start physiotherapy next week (week 5 post op) and start putting pressure on my foot (around 25% WB i think). im actually really anxious about it cause walking is so hard now!! have PT for 5 weeks before checking back in with the doctor.

has anyone experienced the same thing? i feel like its really fast compared to all the stories ive read here which makes me a bit worried if my ankle is strong enough or not!! what were your experiences after cast removal? let me know!!

hope to hear your stories! we're in this together 😃

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have a few questions, what type of break did you have? Do you have plate and screws etc?

I broke my ankle, had Temp backslab cast (heavy old skool) one for just under 2 weeks then had surgery and was put in anther backslab for 2 weeks (so basically 4 weeks total).

I was then given a boot and was told to wear it all the time even when sleeping and only to take it off to do exercises etc, i do them 3/4 times a day. and first few days it was stiff but keep at it, bruising, swelling will go down which makes things easier.

I would say NWB seems standard for 6-8 weeks after surgery but it depends on consultant as some encourage WB after 2/3 weeks post op.

I am now 4 & half weeks post op and 6 & half weeks since break and can't wait to WB.

Sorry for long message, hope it helps

Adam

• Posted

Hi! tbh, im not 100% sure the type on the type of break, but i have 1 plate and 6 screws i believe.

how about you?

that's great! so are you in a boot now? but yes it is very stiff and it is really painful to move them around. how long do you do your exercises for and what kind?

btw, you waited for 2 weeks first before surgery? why was that? i imagined it would be more painful.. when will you be WB?

sorry for the questions, i guess its nice to talk to someone who is experiencing the same thing 😃

• Posted

Ok, what bone did you break? was it your Fibula this is the curved bone on outside of leg which leads down to ankle?

i broke my Fibula and have plate and 7 screws.

I broke bone on sunday, NHS couldn't operate for 3 weeks coz they are so busy and therefore i went private, they operated in just under 2 weeks, also if swelling is too bad then you can't operate so ops can be delayed until swelling goes down.

I've been in a boot for 5 weeks now i do ROM exercise 3/4 times a day and it has helped with the stuffiness and I get no pain only bit of aching, I go back to consultant in a week and should be weight barring

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.