After chlosteatoma surgery please help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 16 and went in hospital and had the sugery for chlosteatoma, when I came out I felt painless, they kept me in because my heart pressure was low and my heart rate was high, when I went to sleep I woken up in the night and found a pool of blood on my pillow then i got up and started leaking down my face, i told the nurse and she said it was normal and just changed my pillow bedding.. later that day they let me go home with paracetamol and iberprofen and said the bleeding is normal, It's now been a night since I was let go but I've woke up in a worse pain, the bleeding still hasn't stopped my neck is sore as well as my hips from the position i was lay in to keep myself out of the most discomfort but my throat is really sore and hurts to swallow, it was like this abit after the operation and they said it's normal because of the tubes that were down my throat but it seems like everything is getting worse and I can't find anywhere that says it should be bleeding, my parents keep telling me it's normal what I'm feeling can anyone tell me if this is right?ย 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey I'm 22 and had this surgery 12 days ago..my bleeding lasted about 3 days and even now I'm gettin brown/red on my cotton wool, it is normal but just keep an eye on it and if it's bright red very uncontrollable bleeding then I would go to a and e but trickles of it it normal as it collects in your ear then you move it will all run out: however the throat pain I would keep an eye on, if it gets worse and really bad I would go to the GP as you don't want to get an infection! .. My procedure was really bad had all my mastoid drilled and my cholesteatoma was really extensive and I was in a lot of pain for week, my ear is sore now but had no throat pain at all. Just beware it gets very itchy ๐Ÿ˜ซ!!!!!
    • Posted

Thankyou for the reply I've just came back from hospital my parents wanted me to get checked and they changed my dressing in my ear and the nurse said my ear isn't bleeding it was just because my dressing is full of blood, my chlosteatoma was also extensive but the surgen didn't know this until he opened my ear he told me that he was shocked, can you tell me when It'll start feeling better? thankssmile
    • Posted

Aw glad all is well! Yes that is what happened to me, he thought it was going to be small until he got inside and it had attacked everywhere, I lost all 3 of my hearing bones and my taste nerve too!! ๐Ÿ˜’ I started to feel better after a week, I was pain free, it's just soar where they cut me at the front but not painful. Still can't lay on that side but the recovery is really quick, just like I said sooo itchy ๐Ÿ˜ซ I get my packing out on Thursday I can't wait!
    • Posted

Yeah my taste nerve has been damaged and the inner dresssing was sown inside my ear so I can't imagine it being pleasant when it has to be taken out.. I'm glad recovery is fast as it felt like it was only going to get worse, goodluck for thursday and hopefully your surgen got rid of it all so you don't have to go through it againย 
    • Posted

Ahh wow sown in ๐Ÿ˜ท hopefully they dissolve but I bet they will numb it if not. Can't imagine it hurting tbh no it's been so fast for me And one of them people that get the worst of everything and recovery is always bad for me lol when do you go back? Thank you I just want to be "normal" for Christmas for once lol!
    • Posted

I have to go back in 4 weeks to remove the dressing inside my ear but my stitches come out in a week from a nurse, I feel like 4 weeks is abit long though rolleyes
    • Posted

Oh wow 4 weeks! That does seem long but suppose surgeons are different! I hope yours isn't as itchy as mine then! ๐Ÿ™ˆ il let u no what it's like when I get it out! Hope everything goes well with your ear smile
    • Posted

Hi, can I get your opinion? I have recieved the letter and the date to see my surgen is the 20th of january, it says on the nhs website that it is 2 weeks until I get the dressing out but my surgen has left it 5weeks. I saw the nurse today to get my stiches out and she took 4 out then it started opening again so she stopped and taped the back of my ear up again and told me come back tuesday, but also said stitches usually come out in about a week because they can become inbedded, but wouldn't 5 weeks be too long and inbedden because of the sticthes inside my ear? rolleyes
    • Posted

Hey! Oh god it does seem long as my check up was 2 weeks and when I went yesterday I didn't even have packing in my ear!!! Just cotton wool ball which I didn't need, he said the way they did it was by putting an antibiotic cream in it and leaving it free to heal but they never told me and I left all the dressing on!! And all my stitches dissolvable. I would ring up and ask to see if that's normal and to check that the stitches making it come open is also normal? But it does say that the packing can be removed months after because it is soaked in special stuff to preserve it! But I wouldn't be happy if they was leaving me that long!! Xx
    • Posted

I was told maximum 3weeks no longer as infection can occur after that hope that helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.