After CM1 operation..CSF Leak / Infection ??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dear CM1 patients,

I have been operated on 10 march 2018. After six days i was discharged from the hospital. The wound looked good and the surgeon said u can go home if you want. 

I dont have so extreme pain, but some what especially if you compare it with the first 2 days. My jaws dont hurt anymore..and my back is less stiff..and more straight..

But other symptoms they are still here..and i feel tired..powerless..fatigue..sleepy.. no strength.i have difficulty with taking a shower..eating..brushing teeth..bending..changing clothes.. pickung up things..is this all normal ? 

Also how can i know that i have a CSF Leak ? I am concerned about that..what are the key alarm bells for that so that i am not too late to go to the surgeon if i have a csf leak or a infection? Is this visible or can you feel it ? Any tips what to do coming weeks..

Thank you,

2 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi cakal,

First of all well done ...you should not feel pressure any longer - stiffness should also be disappered however daily routine such as: bathing; changing clothes might be a little difficult - come on ..!!! you just have a major surgery done..what do you expect??? - if after 4 weeks you are still have the symptom..then go back or write to your surgeon..on the other one from today..you must write it down every single symptom you have and would ask you surgeon to give you another MRI/Scan just to see before and after surgery...and you will have to see him anyway for post surgery check up... in term of the leak does this information help??:

''Cerebrospinal Fluid Leakage

One of the main risks is leakage of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), the fluid which surrounds the brain and the spinal cord, providing a cushion and transporting nutrients. Leakage can happen if the dura, the membrane that covers the brain, is punctured and the repair is not watertight. The CSF leaks out from the defect in the dura and collects under the skin causing a pseudomeningocele.

A CSF leak can lead to a headache that feels better when you lie down, as well as nausea and light sensitivity. Oftentimes the leak will resolve on its own as long as it is confined to the space under the skin. Increasing your fluid intake will help. Your physician may recommend increased caffeine intake, as well as a period of bed rest. Sometimes the CSF, which is a clear, watery fluid, drains out of the ear, nose or incision which can cause an increased infection risk. In these cases, surgery to repair the leak may be necessary.''

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.