after dvt treatment

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi just been treated for dvt with rivaoxeban now finished treatment.has any one had the same treatment ? have been told that i need to ware compression stockings at least 2 to 3 years. is there any thing else i need to do regards adie

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Its very important that you wear the stockings, I was told 2 years, the stockings help prevent post thrombotic syndrome which is really nasty and could cause permanent disability.  You should exercise regularly walking as much as you are comfortable with and building it up, this will open new channels to help with the blood flow from the damaged vein.  You should also when not walking, keep your leg elevated to help the blood flow back.  Have you not been prescribed any antiocagulat?  its normal to take one after a DVT for a time, even permanently in some cases.   
    • Posted

hi thanks for your reply have now finished my prescribed rivaoxiban are there any precautions i need to take now that my medication has stopped regards adie
    • Posted

How long were you taking it? Its normal to take an oral anticoagulant for some time after a DVT, rivaoxiban is not a clot treatment, its a preventative to stop you getting more clots,  there is no treatment for a clot other than an anjiowash. I had my clot 12 months ago, I was on heparin for two weeks, then warfarin for 12 months and am no on apixaban for life. 
    • Posted

was taken rivaoxiban for 3 months now finished. yesterday saw dr and was told that i did not need any more i was just told to keep the compression stockings on for the next 2 to 3 years 
    • Posted

Hi Adrian, compression stocking for 2 years is the correct treatment to avoid symptoms of swelling and pain due to PTS. Have you been told how big your DVT was and have you been scanned to check on how much it has gone? Have they done blood tests to see why you got a DVT to see if underlying blood clotting cause? Have they mentioned PTS? Do you get leg swelling? Do exercise to improve circulation. If you travel esp by plane then ask GP if you need blood thinners to avoid another DVT. Apparently if you have had a DVT you are more likely to get another but you can take precautions. If you travel keep hydrated, move around every 90 minutes maximum and wear compression stocking. Good luck. Sheila.
    • Posted

Hi sheila only had blood test and scan when first discovered was put on 3 months of rivaoxiban which I have now completed yesterday went back to hospital to see consultant.he told me that he was happy to take me of medication.and just to keep my fluid intake up and to keep wearing the compression stockings.I just wondered if there was any thing else I need to do regards adie
    • Posted

Hi adie, you still haven't had an explanation about why you had the DVT. We have found hugely variable aftercare for DVT, some get none. It is important that you get a reason, even though my son's was because of post surgical immobility etc he was still tested for blood clotting abnormalities. You can ask your GP. So still follows though, exercise, avoid long periods of immobily, elevate leg, wear stocking and keep active. Walking & swimming ideal. You haven't mentioned swelling and pain in lower leg so hopefully you wont get it. The stocking can be left off sometimes as Mr Black, Vasc Cons Guy's & St Thomas, London, says it doesn't stop PTS happening but alleviates symptoms short term. So dont feel anxious if you leave it off on a hot day occasionally. Sheila.

• Posted

thanks for your reply sheila the only explanation for my dvt may be down to a long haul flight over 12 hours non stop  on the return leg.as i have made this trip more than 20 times i never thought i would have a problem so i never had flight stockings.i know better now. i am fit and active and do a lot of walking so this should help recovery.since my treatment i have had no pain in the leg and  the leg did not have any swelling at any time.the dr told me the clot was at the back of my left knee.i will go to see my GP to get a blood test done very kindest regards adie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.