After effects of a cystoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a very uncomfortable Cystoscopy in November and apart from having 2 prolonged urine infections since then, I no longer feel the urge to urinate. I only know that I need to go because my lower abdomen swells and becomes hard. Is this normal? I am finding this quite distressing as I was not experiencing this prior to the procedure.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't think it's normal (although others will likely know a lot more than me!)

However, we all react differently.

I've had a horrid time with various procedures and them sticking things in my urethra! After my cystoscopy, the pain when trying to urinate was unbelievable! I found the procedure itself very painful. I'd heard about how it can 'sting a little bit' afterwards, but this honestly felt more like broken glass moving around.

Since then, i've had more operations with being put to sleep and them putting catheters and even larger (rigid as opposed to flexible) scopes in me, and I am still nowhere near normal and this was a few months back now.

It hurts if I 'push' whilst urinating. Only doesn't hurt if I pee 'slowly'.

Pain with erections.

Pain when my penis moves if in a semi-hard state.

Various other pains.

Long story short, our bodies really don't like having things stuck in our urethras, and some of us react worse than others.

I'd definitely speak to either someone at the hospital where it was carried out if I were you.

Hope you get better sooner rather than later!

good luck

• Posted

Thank you. I have an appointment for the start of the new year.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear of your experiences of your cystoscopy and other ops. I like you had a rigid cystoscopy on july of last year and did not like it a bit.Took me about 2 to 3 months to get the urinary feeling back to normal. i'm still having checks with flexible cystoscopy, but I can tollerate that. But the point of my reply was that you mentioned you had pain with erections. Well I have experienced occassionaly pain in that region and more so if I have an erection, but I am sure I had that before my cystoscopy. I informed my gp a year ago but checked me and didn't find anything wrong. I, myself put it down to my vasectomy I had done many years ago.

But you are right on what you say about having our bodies manipulated by surgeons. In some respect, it is amazing what they can do these days, but I'm sure it can be the other

• Posted

This isn't normal,speak to your GP or the hospital that carried out the procedure.
    • Posted

Thank you for getting back to me. I have made an appointment to see my G.P.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.