After effects of a diverticulitis flare up.... How long will this last?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed with diverticular disease 20 years ago and after a period of stress in my life. I'm now aged 63.  Since then I had very few flare ups and only mild...until last December (after another period of stress), I had a major one!  Got over the worst of it in about two to three weeks, but have never been really "better". I only get a few good days at a time and then a day or two of nausea, trapped wind type pains & tiredness.  No constipation or other symptoms but it's really getting me down (this has been 7 months now). I had a colonoscopy in 2 months ago and this just confirmed diverticular disease but no inflammation was found..therefore I was given no treatment. I've tried loads of "over the counter" meds, which are mostly for IBS, but they don't seem to work.  I go for walks, try to rest (but I do have to go to work). 

Does anyone have the same problems and have any ideas how to get back to "normal". Please!!!

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Maureen, 

I’m 63 also and had my first attack the day before this past Thanksgiving. I have also been in a constant period of stress caring for my 90 year old mother.  I have just had another attack this past Saturday. Before this last one though I had stomach issues for a week or two prior, like a gnawing sensation if you don’t eat and more after eating. Also like gaswas trapped and was just stuck there, been on meds since Saturday. I feel better at times and but still tired and not quite right. My husband doesn’t get it, and I don’t think anyone who hasn’t had it does. I’m hoping this goes soon, and especially after finishing meds.  I have to find a diet to help with this after the 6-8 weeks following attack. The diet right now consists of everything not good for you either.  Praying for help for all of us! JoAnn

• Posted

I have major issues,,infections,flare ups keep returning after about 3 months without an antibiotic. Does anyone experience sharp pain when flare is starting?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.