After effects of colonoscopy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everybody, I had my first colonoscopy around three months ago and ever since undergoing this procedure I have been experiencing discomfort in my stomach, has anyone else experienced this and if so how long did it last. Being my first experience of this procedure I was a little apprehensive.  I was also concerned that the prep the night before would aggravate the bowel, so it could be down to this. Or could it be the camera it's self that has caused it.  This test was to establish whether my crohns had flared up.  Although the results gave me the all clear with regards to the crohns they did find a  couple of ulcers in the bowel at the site of my resections. The consultant assures me that ulcers are common with crohns. The fact they took biopsies from the ulcers might be causing me this discomfort. I would be grateful for any feedback on this. Thank you. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  I have had one colonoscopy and biopsies were taken.  I was then diagnosed with Ulcerative colitus.  However I was only uncomfortable for about 3-4 hours after the colonoscopy.  You should have been given a name and telephone number of a nurse that assists your Consultant.  If you have this ring the nurse or if not contact your Consultant and let him/her know the problems you are having.  3 months is a long time to be suffering after the Colonoscopy alone.  Depending on how bad the ulcers and inflammation is depends on how quickly you start to feel better.  Once I had been diagnosed, I was put on Steriods for 9 months, weened of them and put on Azathioprine and Pentasa.  I was Aza for 4 years, weened of them and now just left with Pentasa, which I am told I will have to take forever more or until they stop working and if this happens something else will have to be found for me.  My Brother suffers the same problems and his medication is different to mine.  Everyone with this illness is so very different so what works for one does not necessarily work for someone else.  You will get there.  Food diaries are a good thing to keep and keep your stress levels down !!!!.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks for your quick response Maureen it is appreciated. It is just that this discomfort started after undergoing this procedure .I  have seen my consultant since and mentioned this to him.
  • Posted

I hope he was able to help when you mentioned it, if not keep at him for answers.  Its your body and your suffering. Sadly the Consultants are so busy that they don't always answer your questions to the full and you must keep at them.  My Consultant has realised that I am going to get answers in the end and after 6+years of seeing me, he knows to answer my questions to the full.  I don't make myself a nuisance because I know the pressure they are under.  I have just said to him, answer me and explained IN FULL the first time and we don't have to keep revisiting and in the end this attitude saves time. !!!  My Consultant is a lovely man but they need to know that you want answers and that is how you want to be treated.  Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.