After effects of fusion?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi

I've just seen a Surgeon who said the only option for my bunions is fusion.  However, this would mean that I had to wear absolutely flat shoes.  I wore shoes with about 1 inch heels to the consultation and was told that these would not be suitable - ever!  Is this really true?  One of the reasons (apart from the pain) that I want my bumps sorted is that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find shoes to fit over them and also fit well at the heel.  Will fusion actually get rid of the bump, so if I have to wear flat shoes, I can at least wear 'normal' width fittings?

Any help/advice/experiences would be great.  Thank you.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sally, I really think that you should get a second opinion. Fusion sounds rather drastic.
    • Posted

Thanks Hilly,  Yes, I think I will have to, although fusion was the only option a few years ago too - I am thinking it must be the local Health Authority policy.  I did ask about going private, but the response was that the only difference would be the waiting list.  I am going to have a think and maybe revisit my GP.  Thanks for your help and everyone else's thoughts.  smile

• Posted

There are other options, that may leave you with some flexibility in the toe, BUT the arthritis will return, and eventually you will have to have the toes fused (I have a degree in physiology and did lots of research on this).  Personally, I did not want to end up going through surgery again.  I've already lived 6 years without bending my toes because of the pain, so I didn't see any reason that being able to bend my toes for a few more years could warrant more surgery.  I had both great toes fused at once, and am almost fully recovered.  Finding shoes will probably be my biggest challenge, but that would have happened anyways, and I can deal with it.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing here.  You may see my post above but I am deciding between surgeons and procedures - either lapidus fusion or proximal medial opening wedge osteotomy.  The latter leaves more flexibility so it sounds better to me, but what do you mean about the arthritis will return (I don't have it now...are you saying I am likely to have it after the surgery?) and also what do you mean about it eventually will have to be fused if I don't do that now?   I appreciate any help!

• Posted

Sorry, I was mixing up the posts.  Some people mentioned arthritis, which is why I had my toes fused.  If you have arthritis and choose a cheilectomy, for example, it will give you more motion in your toe, but that solution is temporary.  I'm not sure how this applies to bunions.

• Posted

Hi Sally, I agree, it sounds drastic. I am 49 and have just had a scarf osteotomy with Aiken , I will have full movement of my joints ( recovery willing!) my surgeon said fusion is always a last resort because it restricts movement and walking will not distribute the weight evenly! Get a second opinion. Good luck
  • Posted

I ve had bunions done on both feet in the last eighteen months.  Also had two toes fused at the same time.  I could only wear very flat shoes before as I had an ankle fusion five years ago.  Honestly it's not a problem.  You will get used to it. I now wear really nice flats, mainly with trousers.  Far better than having ugly bunions and not being able to get in the shoes you want to wear
  • Posted

Thank you.  I'm hoping the pain in my big toe will go away within the next three months.  Is your foot still swelling at 61/2 months?  Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi i.ve had fusion done on the big toe on the right foot 8 weeks ago it's healing well but now i.ve been told that the big toe on the left foot has to be fused as well . i.m getting a bit worried that if the operation is soon i.ll not be able walk ? or maybe they will let the right foot heal for about 6 mouths before they do the left toe. Can anyone help with information as i.m getting a little bit worried as it's happening to fast and I don't know what to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.