After Gall Bladder removal.

Posted , 5 users are following.

i had my gall bladder removed 5 days ago. everything seemed as expected until today when I have a permanent pain under my ribs and a feeling as if it is probably caused by bile in my stomach. I already take medication for Hiatus Hernia but that hasn't appeared to help with this problem. has anyone else had this problem and does it get any better?

Any advice would be appreciated!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

i had the same thing and it did go away. dont remember having permanently but it did come and go for about a month....then i never had it again...

• Edited

Hi there. You said that it has been 5 days? You cannot expect to feel 100% only after a week. You are experiencing pain where your gallbladder used to be. Remember you just had a major surgery. I don't think your issues have to do with bile. Expect pain on and off. You cannot stretch or bend or lift anything heavy. You just rest and take pain meds to help you. Just be patient and don't rush your recovery. Healthy days for your future. Good Luck.

• Edited

Wait a week to see if it settles down. It may simply be temporary post op pain If the pain persists, see your doctor and ask about bile acid malabsorption which can be detected with a SECHAT scan. If you have it, there is treatment. When you don't have a gallbladder to store bile, it had no where else to go but the stomach. This can cause irritation to the intestines. The other possibility is abdominal nerves have been disturbed. Neuralgia can't be cured; only managed.

• Edited

thank you all for your replies, i feel better for knowing what to expect and what not to. I do feel very tired, but i think due to it being day surgery I've tended to think I should be feeling better than I do.

thank you all for the reminder that I'm expecting too much too soon!

• Edited

hi carole....i just saw this and gave to agree with the other posts. It sounds similar to my post gallbladder removal pain. I was also very tired and it probably took me 2-3 weeks to feel completely normal again. Then....best thing I ever did!

• Posted

I'm taking heart from all the messages and hope by the time my holidays come around in May I have been able to put it all behind me and enjoy life. I realise I am expecting too much too soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.