After Gall Bladder surgery, can't urinate

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just had Gall Bladder removed. Feel like a million bucks, but could not pee. Doctor( G I ) inserted a catheter and prescribed Tamsolusin with the idea that I would be scheduled to meet with Urologist within day. Anyone experience this? Have read that the anesthesia can do this and will eventually wear off as the anasthesia wears off. Any assistance please?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes anaesthesia can do this and if you havent peed within 20 hours a catheter is usually inserted. Its normal practice.

• Posted

Well, the effect should wear off but sometimes it can take up to a few weeks.The catheter should be removed to see if you can pee. If it still doesnt seem to be working you may need the catheter replaced. If you were given morphine it can affect the flow. i assume you are under the care of a urologist or your primary provider now if you still cant pee. You can try putting warm compresses on your abdomen just above the pubic bone or simply tapping the abdomen between navel and pubic bone. Putting your hands suddenly into very cold water can also trigger a bladder response.

If you could pee without any problems before your op you should get the response back eventually

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.