After having Ankle Fusion Surgery. . Does anyone feel it has hurt them Mentally ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i feel that if you are a busy person with a lot going on in your life that an injury that puts you out of commission for 7-10 weeks affects you mentally

im not a moody depressed type but over the course of the first 4-5 weeks of recovery i did fall into a couple of days were i felt hopeless

like i was never going to get better

i turned the corner around week 7-8 when i started to drive again and was able to become more independent

im now 10 weeks post op and feeling like i have my life back

its a long road back maybe someone who has never had a broken ankle doesnt think 7-10 weeks is a long time but when you are the one going through it seems like an eternity

only so many books to read and TV to watch!

• Posted

I completely agree. I had a TAR in 2012 which at my four year check up was found to need to be revised due to it would appear because of poor execution.The recovery was very tough so to then have to face the removal and replacement of the prosthesis and another surgery was extremely demanding both physically and demanding! Cheers Richard

• Posted

absolutely agree! The 7 weeks of non weightbearing was horrendous and something you cannot prepare for. From being very independent to having to rely on everyone is awful. i have shed lots of tears andi really am not a weepy kind of person...im a retired high school teacher and not a lot phases me! Also hopping on one leg is so hard and tiring. I think all partners, every surgeon, physio, nurses and all health care workers who treat people with non weightbearing injuries should have a day hopping around on crutches to appreciate what people go through.

I'm now day 2 of an aircast and feel like I'm back to square 1. I didn't think it would hurt so much.

I have a friend who also had an ankle fusion a few years and he walks perfectly with no pain. I think of him when I'm really down and know things will get better!

• Posted

I had a tavovicular fusion MARCH 17 Pot for 8 weeks which was awkward but told the 95% succsess rate mine had not fused to be told the arthritis has spread to every bone i my foot which i am told is 33 so no cartliage between bone now ,just bone on bone with cysts between them it is impossible to fuse them all the surgeon says so my options now are

1 x BUPROMORHINE Patches which i started on 5mg 11 months ago and now i am on 25mg

or a 6" Below Knee amputation and a prostethic Leg for the rest of my life

i am in a proper dilemma which way to go

Regards Andrew

• Posted

it's normal..I took a fall July 3rd..OR IF surgery to a fractured tibula and fibula..it's been 11 weeks of no weight bearing with crutches and a boot..it's very depressing yes..I'm stuck in the house,can't drive,have to depend on others to get to appointments,no income..worried about alot..I worry about being able to ever walk again..I still have weeks of therapy to go..soon I'll start wgt bearing therapy...what gets me through is my faith. .I realize I can't control everything, and I've learned to lean on God and trust in him to see me through...I pray you find something or someone to help you through. .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.