After liver biospy GI asking for chest CT - WHY?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Thanks for help and time.

6-7 weeks ago I saw my PCP for severe fatigue, slight abdominal pain, abdominal discomfort and dark urine.

PCP did blood work which suggested high liver enzymes and referred me to GI promptly, the GI checked me out and got blood work and CT of abdominal done, now step by step from here :-

1. blood work showed drastically reduction in liver enzymes suggesting tyenol or alcohol night before the first test was the cause.

2. CT scan showed everything normal but suggesting highly infectious gall bladder.

3. GI asked for another blood work and ultrasound.

4. Blood work further improved and ultra sound was good.

5. GI now suggested liver biopsy and another blood work.

6. Blood work again showed improvement.

7. Got biopsy done (boy this was hurtful), GI mentioned biopsy results shows some abnormality but no specific was provided and now asked me to do another blood work, no alcohol (I am not even a alcoholic, just occasional kind of guy) and CT of chest.

CT of chest? gives me jitters why is GI asking for CT of chest? It has been 6 weeks of stress and still things are inconclusive and no treatment atleast for infaction has been started.

Meanwhile, during this period I had viral and severe cough, no medics were taken to about any liver complications. Changed lifestyle in terms of diet, fatigue is better but still don't feel 100%, urine is all good and so is abdominal pain.

Can any of you experienced gurus suggest what might be going on here and what is my GI upto ? time to take another opinion? 

My PCP sucks hasn't even returned any of my calls or questions.

Sincerely,

R

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sounds to me as though you GI is being especially thorough, and eliminating all possibilities.

?CT scan of chest would show up a congestion of lungs to cancer of lungs, but don't even go there until confirmed.

?Liver cancer is rarely a first cancer, it is a result of a cancer somewhere else.

But reading your list of symptoms it sounds to me as if you have had a really nasty virus that has affected you liver, blood tests abnormal, but improving slowly, pain in gut, angry liver, bloods screwed up, fatigue, cough, Epstein Barr, or mononuceolous, son has it presently and is getting well very slowly, it really knocks you around big time, he spent 8 days in hospital with a really nasty dose, wiped out his white blood cells, so a common cold could have killed him, they had him in isolation for 7 of those 8 days, until they go a positive result, they tested him for hundreds of bacterial and viral illnesses, and also starting to talk about something sinister (read cancer), as they could find nothing else wrong.

• Posted

I pray and hope your son gets well soon, very soon.

Thanks for your response. I couldn't get time of my GI "soon" to get my questions answered so I am thinking of going ahead and schedule chest CT and get over with it. Just worried recent took contra and taking it again might be hard on kidneys.

The virus input makes sense as the symptoms line up so may be a distinct possibility. I will continue with the prognosis my GI has in mind and go from there, will update this thread as I go in for a journey.

• Posted

What is contra.

My son when in the hospital at his sickest, was given Endone, it s artificial morphine, rather than Panadol, which is the usual painkiller the hospitals give you.

As I understand it the difference is the Endone is processed by kidneys, where the Panadol is processed through the liver, NOT a good idea to be giving him pain killers that liver processes when liver already angry and upset, dead liver - result dead patient, and there is no coming back from that.

• Posted

Sorry with contra I meant scan with contrast liquid that needs to be consumed 2 hours before scan it effects the kidneys. 

So finally saw my biopsy results it says moderate hepatitis fibrosis 😔

GI wants blood work and ct chest before he can meet me ie in January. 

I don’t know what to make out of it but keeping my spirits high and will tackle whatever comes my way. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.