After open repair of AAA

Posted , 8 users are following.

It has been 4 months since I had an operation on my AAA (would not like to go through that again). I elected to have the open repair, recommended by the surgeon Mr Dix and his team. I was out of hospital after 5 days and within 6 weeks able to walk for about 15 minutes/0.5 mile. I am now able to walk

/garden with no problems and am gradually getting back to normal fitness. I attended screening for a few years so I knew there was no other choice but to have the operation. Whilst the AAA was growing I gave up smoking, lost some weight and increased my fitness which I am sure helped this 64 year old body recover quicker. I cannot fault the NHS.

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your story 1mb. It gives me hope and faith.

I have recently been diagnosed with a 5cm anuerysm and a bicuspid aortic valve. I'm waiting for my appointment for the CT (just had the eso-echo), and then I go on the waiting list...I guess.

Knowing that you've got 20 years on me, and are doing well...yay! . And I too have given up smoking (but not the e-fag just yet) and cut back to nearly no drinking. I also walk at least a mile most days. 

I'll be following your progress for inspiration. Thanks again for sharing. 

• Posted

I'm glad to hear that you are doing well! I am a 66 yr old man in the U.S. (Memphis) and was diagnosed with a AAA of 4.5 cm in Sept. '14. In 1997 I had a triple bypass, in 2011 I had 5 heart stents installed. In August '14 I had a silent (meaning I didn't really know it) heart attack. I had another on Oct 20th '14. Sounds like fun huh?

Things sound worse than they are. The surgery and stents were due to a lifetime of smoking and Southern cooking and were successful and I did quit smoking in '09. The two "minor" heart attacks were the result of my new cardiologist (former one moved to Canada) taking me off of Plavix last summer. They have me back on it now and I am working to get and stay in shape so that when, not if, I have to have the open surgery for the AAA I am as prepared as possible. At this point I am 5'11" tall and weigh 195 pounds. I have good insurance and, at this time, a very supportive workplace.

What I don't have is any family. No one. So that is why I'm posting here. Daily friends don't really want to hear about personal medical problems and I have no one other than my dogs to go home to and tell.

So I hope y'all don't mind if I pass on and talk about my AAA issues as they progress as I don't have anyone else to talk about it with.

Thanks, Bob 

• Posted

Hi Bob-

I'm sorry to hear that you have no one to talk to about this. I am lucky to have a very supportive family, but they can only help so much as they don't know what I am going though.

People (including some family) used to chastised me for being "lazy" when I said I was tired, or winded, after just a bit of activity. We didn't know then what was going on with me. 

I would encourage you to read other peoples stories and keep us posted about your progress. We know what you going though and we care. Take care heart buddy. x

• Posted

Thanks Kristi. People don't realize what's happening and tend to think you're lazy. In fact I just lost my job a few weeks ago because "I wasn't pulling my weight". I'll get by but without insurance until I can get something in the way of a new job but at 66 yr old that isn't too easy. But I have no plans to give up. Thanks again for your note.
    • Posted

Bob...please go apply for your state's verson of Federal Medical insurance. I lost my best friend, because he too lost his job and medical. and was too proud to go apply.  His life was saved once, from a burst anuerysm, but he never fully recovered and refused to give up his "lifes pleausres" (Pot and booze).  Then when he lost his job and medical, he could not go to the doctor or afford his meds, and he died.  Go apply. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.