After parathyroid surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

5 weeks now after surgery and am unable to take calcium supplements, I cannot tolerate them in any form. Is it possible to get enough through food? Has anyone else had this problem, please help!!! If I take calcium I urinate so excessively that I end up in the hospital, have severe dry mouth and muscle weakness.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You have parathyroid surgery because you calcium is too high, why are you prescribed calcium? Have you had all parathyroids removed?

I have had one taken out, have been prescribed vitamin D supplement because it was low but this has unfortunately pushed by calcium back up to pre-surgery levels and I have urinary and abdominal symptoms back.

Leave a message with your endocrinologists secretary and get them to phone you back with advice.

• Posted

Hello Anna, I am taking calcium because after surgery your calcium drops drastically and you need a supplement. Also you noted that your Vit D was driving up your levels to pre-surgery levels. This is usually not the case, generally when levels increase it is due to a possible 2nd tumor. Please go to parathyroid.com. This is the Norman parathyroid Center, their website has so much good information. Hope you start feeling better soon.

• Posted

My understanding on why calcium supplements are used:  after surgery, particularly if patient exhibited significant bone loss, the dormant remains glands will take time to equilibrate.  The bones will begin to pull calcium back into bone at rapid pace, causing lower Ca level. Supplements act as stop gap to avoid dangerous low levels after surgery
  • Posted

Hi Cris The need of calcium supplement is very variable post op. I needed 3 000 mg for 6 months but I was very high before the op. You can find calcium in milk and cheese of course but I am lactose intolerant so I ve found it in natural water Rozanna (magnesium and calcium) but I was able to take Carbonate to complement. There are many form of calcium Good luck with that

• Posted

Just had my parathyroid gland removed (1). I was put on Ca supplements after surgery as Ca dropped after the one gland was removed. This is intended to be temporary to avoid low Ca levels caused by other 3 glands adjusting to surgery. I too struggle with irritable bowel symptoms and GERD. I am lowering dosages now. I hope it improves

this seems to be standard protocol over 3 week time frame

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.