after prostate removal problems after catheter removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

prostate removal 5-13-2022

catheter removal 5-20-2022

to this day 7-10-2022 I am still having problems with urination. I have passed numerous blood clots( look like scabs). Twice my urine flow has been stopped because of a clot. I have been able to finally urinate after pressure and massaging. The urine stream is all over the place , direction and stream may be very fine or just about normal, I never know. My urologist says no issues as long as I am urinating. The time that these clots have been going on seem to me to be very unusual.

Anyone else had issue like this??????

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hmmm. After rt for Intermediate Favourable prostate cancer I noticed that my urine flow was gradually decreasing. Urethral strictures were mentioned as a result of the rt. A locum Dr simply advised to 'put up with it.' An ultrasound showed that I was not voiding completely but the Urologist said that was normal for my age of 75. However, while trying to produce a sample to test for an infection, I was unable to pass even a small amount and spent two very uncomfortable hours at the surgery before passing enough. No infection fortunately but quite scary. It has happened twice since and every time I go to pee, I have a sense of relief when successful. (Yes, in both meanings.) I have to get up in the night usually if the cat wakes me up asking for her breakfast, but that's ok. I know this has nothing to do with a catheter or blood clots, but thought I'd share it on here.

• Posted

After prostate removal surgery, also known as a radical prostatectomy, it is not uncommon to experience some urinary issues during the recovery period. However, the persistence of blood clots and irregular urine flow that you are describing may warrant further evaluation and discussion with your urologist.

Blood clots in the urine, also known as hematuria, can occur after surgery and are usually expected to diminish over time as the healing process progresses. However, the presence of persistent or recurrent blood clots may indicate a potential issue that should be addressed by your healthcare provider.

Regarding the irregular urine flow, it is possible that the removal of the prostate gland and subsequent surgical changes may temporarily affect urinary function. The recovery period can vary for each individual, and it may take time for the urinary system to adjust and regain normal function. However, if you are experiencing significant difficulties with urination, including recurrent blockages and inconsistent urine stream, it is important to discuss these concerns with your urologist to ensure appropriate evaluation and management.

While I cannot provide personal experiences from other individuals, it may be helpful to connect with support groups or online forums specifically for prostate cancer survivors or individuals who have undergone prostate removal surgery. Engaging with others who have had similar experiences can provide insights, support, and potentially helpful advice. Additionally, your healthcare provider may be able to connect you with resources or support groups where you can learn from the experiences of others who have undergone similar surgeries.

Remember, it is important to follow up with your urologist and communicate any ongoing issues or concerns you have about your urinary symptoms. They are in the best position to evaluate your specific situation, provide appropriate guidance, and address any potential complications or underlying causes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.