After Rotator Cuff Surgery-when will the pain end?

Posted , 94 users are following.

I am a 56 year old female who usually has a high tolerance for pain. I had rotator cuff surgery on 12/15/16. I had one anchor placed during arthroscopic surgery for a full rotator cuff tear and bone spur removal. I'm having lots of pain, especially at night. I slept in a recliner for one week. Now I'm sleeping in the guest room propped up on pillows. And by "sleeping" I mean a few hours here and there. I miss my real bed and my real life. I'm weaning myself off Demerol, because I don't want to become an addict living in a van down by the river! No offense to drug addicts; I just don't want to join them.

Physical therapy is very painful, but I'm doing my exercises daily....well, not as many reps as I should because it hurts so much afterwards. About a week ago a "therapist" we'll call Hitler just about yanked my arm from my body. Things have been going downhill since, and it isn't me on skis!😣

I'm really over this whole experience!

I want my right arm back...the one I use for everything!

I'm hoping to return to school to teach 95 seventh graders in four days. Too ambitious? I did practice driving left-handed for a month before my surgery,

Thoughts? Advice?

5 likes, 413 replies

413 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Fractured mine mid-Feb 2016 and still have pain in upper arm and shoulder, still restricted in movement, (cant do my bra up from back) every night I have to take painkillers to get me through the night. Sometimes it feels that it is going to "pop"out... but I just et on with it. Drs are useless and just  refer to Physios, which I decline.

• Posted

Hi everyone I had a partial rotator cuff tear right shoulder . I had surgery aug. 2017 iam  still in a lot ! Of pain!!. It was a work injury and after surgery about 3 months later everyone said your done go back to work , my dr. Was upset that I had 3months off he wanted me back shortly after surgery no limitations except 20# lifting restrictions.That’s it . Well I’ve been back to work for awhile and the pain is unbearable .sleep? Huh , l2 hours up for 2 and so on. My dr. Who has since retired says “you shouldn’t be in that! Much pain”??????😏😏, well I

go see a dr. Tomorrow I need something done I can’t take it. I’m going to see if I can go to a pain management clinic?. Wish me luck . I’d also welcome any advice Thank You. 

• Posted

Don't know if they can do this for a shoulder, but I had severe hip and leg pain a few years ago and the pain management doctor gave me an epidural. I was at the point I would try anything. That was was nearly two years ago and I haven't had a flicker of pain since. To me, that was the "magic bullet". I know some people that it didn't work for, but all I know is that it worked for me and is continuing. I know the medication has long worn off but my doctor is a believer that if you can do something to interrupt the pain, it may never come back. This also worked for me about 20 years ago with tennis elbow. Couldn't even grip a glass of water and pick it up. Cortisone shot cured it within two days and it NEVER came back. Again, it doesn't always work but when you get to a certain point you'll try anything. Talk to a pain management doctor and see what he suggests.

• Posted

Thanks for the ideas. I had an epidural years ago for pain in my shoulder blade area twice and it didn't help, but it also depends on the physician doing the procedure getting it in the exact correct spot. The cortisone injections last year didn't seem to do much for my shoulder pain at the time. Maybe they did a little and I expected too much like the magic bullet. I definitely don't want pain meds for this though. I've seen too much of what those do to people I've know over the years. Getting the pain reduced would be great, getting some sleep for once would supremely great!

• Posted

Hello I just read about your experience, and one reply back to you, so far.  I too wonder why your Dr. would have you in PT so soon ? I had a full thick tear with two anchors (I fell) and when I saw my PA in Feb. he said that I might not  have physical therapy at all, basically, for the exact reason you described your Hitler like therapist  Sometime physical therapist can do harm.  I don't know how they will get my motion back without therapy, but time will tell (a long time I am guessing) but maybe down the line I will go to a PT.  I had my surgery Jan. 25TH and just count weeks, and keep feeling, when will I be normal again?  I had surgery on my right side, and it's been so hard.  From what I have read on line regarding Rotator Cuff surgery is a major surgery, and I guess I just din't realize how tough this would be.  So now instead of weeks, I am thinking I will feel normal or have motion (so I can do my hair) in many months.  What you described about sleeping is just so true, I now have a system of stacking my pillows just right to prop myself up, and like you just want to sleep on my side of the bed on my stomach lol.  Good luck on your return to work.  Do ask your Doctor or PA "why" physical therapy so soon.  Can you lift your arm to your side yet, or at all?  I only do pendulum exercise's and bench that is it.  

• Posted

Hi Karen, So sorry to hear all this we seem in the same boat. My surgery was dec 12 2018. Clean up bone spurs and repair rotator cuff! Surgery went well not in much pain., hmmm.. too good to be true!’went back to Dr for follow up and to

Have stitches removed . Then he said you want to start pt today or wait a few weeks ! We’ll be being s golfer i said let’s get started do I did and it’s been nothing but brutal ! Some days at night I go in the bathroom and cry that I am never going to use my right arm the same way again I have done everything I am

Told plus my pt at hope faithfully and guess what March 1st they say I have frozen shoulder ! So that means another procedure .. they put you out and manipulate and rotate the arm and breakup the scar tissue . Then same day they send you to physical therapy and for 5 days straight more therapy ..slot of stretching and slot of pain Omg! I was always a pretty tough gal but have days  lately that bring tears to my eyes !back to surgeon again for follow up! Still

Can’t go back to work and more pt two days a eeek

Plus 2 times a days at home. Get no sleep sitting up go from one pillow to 3 pillows all. Night and from

Heat to ice all night . Last pt visit was working on incision area working on the scar tissue and scar area .. also did some crazy strong electrodes . Went home in pain and today is bad pain ! I feel

Like 3 steps forward and one back it’s been 12 weeks and I still can’t feed myself with my right hand! 😂 someone please please tell me some good news soon ! Offer any suggestions ? Give me any pointers ? I am feeling down and sad about this and kinda feel my hubby thinks I am

A big baby ! He just compared his buddy who had the surgery 4 weeeks before me and he is able to do a little chipping and putting ! I cried ! I says he’s older and waited longer to start pt  so good for himmsad for me😢😢😢😢 about to run out of Fmla time too so I will be terminated .

• Posted

Hi Karen, So sorry to hear all this we seem in the same boat. My surgery was dec 12 2018. Clean up bone spurs and repair rotator cuff! Surgery went well not in much pain., hmmm.. too good to be true!’went back to Dr for follow up and to

Have stitches removed . Then he said you want to start pt today or wait a few weeks ! We’ll be being s golfer i said let’s get started do I did and it’s been nothing but brutal ! Some days at night I go in the bathroom and cry that I am never going to use my right arm the same way again I have done everything I am

Told plus my pt at hope faithfully and guess what March 1st they say I have frozen shoulder ! So that means another procedure .. they put you out and manipulate and rotate the arm and breakup the scar tissue . Then same day they send you to physical therapy and for 5 days straight more therapy ..slot of stretching and slot of pain Omg! I was always a pretty tough gal but have days  lately that bring tears to my eyes !back to surgeon again for follow up! Still

Can’t go back to work and more pt two days a eeek

Plus 2 times a days at home. Get no sleep sitting up go from one pillow to 3 pillows all. Night and from

Heat to ice all night . Last pt visit was working on incision area working on the scar tissue and scar area .. also did some crazy strong electrodes . Went home in pain and today is bad pain ! I feel

Like 3 steps forward and one back it’s been 12 weeks and I still can’t feed myself with my right hand! 😂 someone please please tell me some good news soon ! Offer any suggestions ? Give me any pointers ? I am feeling down and sad about this and kinda feel my hubby thinks I am

A big baby ! He just compared his buddy who had the surgery 4 weeeks before me and he is able to do a little chipping and putting ! I cried ! I says he’s older and waited longer to start pt  so good for himmsad for me😢😢😢😢 about to run out of Fmla time too so I will be terminated . I feel your pain and someone needs a better way to

Do this surgery !! 😂😂😢

• Posted

I was diagnosed with frozen shoulder in September 2017. Doctor did an MRI and said no reason for it, sent me to PT. I went 4 months through a LOT of pain and tears. Finally saw a different doctor who looked at same MRI and said I had a torn rotator cuff and torn bicep as well as other issues. 1/18/18 had surgery. It has been a long road. I do NOT have full ROM and still have pain at night. I no longer go to PT, but have been going to massage therapy. I hope I start getting some more range of motion back.
    • Posted

I had surgery 9/2017. I didn't feel well until 6 months and I still have pain and stiffness. I do think Therapy made it worse but if you don't stretch several times throughout the day and do strengthening exercises you will be stiff and continue to hurt. You can not gain strength until you have full range of motion and that comes with stretching. It is a long long road, most of the people I have talk to said it took them a year to 2 years to feel normal.

• Posted

I had a full tear repair last May. Nearly a year. Good range of movement and strength but still very achy in bicep and neck. I don't understand how some or us are told 6 months to heal so stop complaining while others are told it can take over a year so be patient and don't worry. I guess that's why we need each other. I say try not to worry as long as it improves a little every MONTH!!

• Posted

We'll see, but am very hopeful less than a year. :-)

The last week has seen great improvement, in the middle of week 7 now, and, today, walked 11,000 steps. This was impossible a week ago as I would have been way too sore. My arm is actually almost useful for some tasks, I can do many things I couldn't do a week ago. Sometimes, it feels perfectly normal, however, it can quickly prove that thought wrong of course! 

I think I agree with you about the not worrying. It seems to be more mental than physical. 3 days ago, the doctor told me to start the wall walk, arm straight out and climb up the wall with my fingers and stretch. First time I tried it, it scared me, felt impossible. It's 3 days later, and it's definitely not impossible. I doubt it changed much in 3 days, it was likely more mental worry or concern than any real barrier. 

• Posted

I'm not trying to be negative, just saying we're all different and not to be discouraged. Just keep at it! Good for you and continued improvement!

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement, I have more good days than bad and I am achy in neck also but I know this is because I am using my neck muscle to move my shoulder and shrugging a lot. I am lifting more weights so this is helping!
    • Posted

Wishing you the best ! I have another Mri on Monday to see if my rutetir cuff is torn again either by pt or or the frozen shoulder manipulation ! Almost 5 months and feeling like 3 steps forward and 2 back . Pt released me guessing because they knew they hurt me ! No longer have a job because I ran out of Fmla time! I am so over this I just want to cry!!  Please keep

Telling me it does get. Better !! 

• Posted

I've come to realize that some people heal fast because they had smaller tears. i was told by the physical therapist that there are small, medium large and massive tears. He said mine was massive, tendons all torn off the bone. So I had 7 incisions spots on shoulder and 3 pins put in. Friend I know saw me and said , " Oh, I only had a few incisions on back of my shoulder and physical for a couple weeks." So I guess with massive tears it takes about a full year to get back to normal. Right now I'm into 10th week after surgery. Its 5:30 in morning and writing this cause pain stiffness and cant sleep. I know to be patient but this truely is a torture. Some days after PT I come home feeling hopeful but its so frustrating when your home and cant do all you'd like to. Last week was first time I drove myself to my PT. appt. Left feeling positive. The next day I fell while running on our sidewalk. Thank God I did not hurt my shoulder but hit my chin , Bad on a cement edge of step , hurt right hand, right knee , which had been broke yrs ago. Wow ! So THIS IS NOT my year. Did not need this on top of shoulder stuff. Now just Thankful things were not worse !! Good Luck to All. ❤

• Posted

Goodness Antoinette you are right, it really isn't your year! Hopefully it will improve. I'm not sure I agree that smaller tears heal faster. My first shoulder surgery was a rc repair 3cms and it was a good year before I could say I felt near normal. This time, I am five weeks out of surgery, no tear and arthroscopic subacromial decompression and AC joint excision, so you would think the pain would be minimal. However, this is horrendous at night and I end up changing over ice packs every few hours until morning. Although trying to comply and increase the exercise regime, like you, the stiffness and pain makes you wonder if it is doing more harm than good. I find it strange that whilst my ROM is pretty good- almost as good as the other shoulder, the pain isn't subsiding at the same rate - in fact the better the ROM, the worse the pain seems to get. According to the physiotherapist this is very common and quite normal but it doesn't make sense to me. I have come to the conclusion that unless you have experienced shoulder surgery, you cannot understand the degree of pain and discomfort we go through.

• Posted

In 2 days it will be 10 months since my full thickness rotator cuff repair, subacromial decompression and distal clavicle resection. jaycee you are so right that if you haven't gone through it you cannot understand the lingering discomfort and limitation. However, I must admit that my family is still at times over protective. My care team has been consistent with the 12-18 month recovery. From day one my surgeon let me know the process can't be rushed. I think on some level we don't believe it, thus we get depressed or frustrated when it plays out pretty much the way they told us! So, Sunday was another pull over rather than back zip dress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.