After Rotator Cuff Surgery-when will the pain end?

Posted , 94 users are following.

I am a 56 year old female who usually has a high tolerance for pain. I had rotator cuff surgery on 12/15/16. I had one anchor placed during arthroscopic surgery for a full rotator cuff tear and bone spur removal. I'm having lots of pain, especially at night. I slept in a recliner for one week. Now I'm sleeping in the guest room propped up on pillows. And by "sleeping" I mean a few hours here and there. I miss my real bed and my real life. I'm weaning myself off Demerol, because I don't want to become an addict living in a van down by the river! No offense to drug addicts; I just don't want to join them.

Physical therapy is very painful, but I'm doing my exercises daily....well, not as many reps as I should because it hurts so much afterwards. About a week ago a "therapist" we'll call Hitler just about yanked my arm from my body. Things have been going downhill since, and it isn't me on skis!😣

I'm really over this whole experience!

I want my right arm back...the one I use for everything!

I'm hoping to return to school to teach 95 seventh graders in four days. Too ambitious? I did practice driving left-handed for a month before my surgery,

Thoughts? Advice?

5 likes, 413 replies

413 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Question: I'm 8 weeks out from full shoulder repair.  Still not feeling well. For that matter I felt better before the surgery. Not sure if by somehow I injured the repair. Does any body know if a X-ray will show if I did injure again as opposed to another MRI?

• Posted

Understand I am not a doctor or expert, just a patient. But when I asked the same question to a PT, they said it's not feasible at that time as it's still healing and it's difficult to see due to the tear possibly still showing up even though nothing is wrong. This is a very long recovery, I am at almost 9 weeks, not feeling great by any means. My PT gave me some simple test and said it's not torn. So, I would think you could do the same. I don't think an xray or MRI would be needed. What movements you can or can't do should make it a pretty safe bet. But 8 weeks is nothing, you have a long way to go. It will get better though.

I felt like I re-injured it as well, I suspect most people do. What the doctor told me at one point was unless you hd an accident, fell on that shoulder, something very bad like that, highly unlikely. Many times I reached for something and forgot I was injured and really regretted it due to the pain, and, it always scared me. However, PT says it is not torn as they could tell by what I could do. For what it's worth.

• Posted

Thanks very much for the reply.  You described my problem precisely.  I trust your advise and opinion more than my PT, PA and surgeon. Thanks again.

bill

• Posted

what do you mean by not feeling well? are you in a lot of pain? most folks don't feel "normal" for 6-12 months.

I felt better before the repair as well - I was able to play volleyball right up until my surgery, even with a complete RC tear, biceps anchor tear, and a labrum tear.  my injuries had built up over several years, so i guess i just got used to compensating.  but it was months after surgery before i felt as functional as i was before surgery.

unfortch, x-ray or MRI might not show injury to the repair. i had an mri at 5.5 months, and it was unremarkable. but i had this ongoing pulling sensation at the front of the shoulder whenever i lifted my arm to the front. not painful, it felt more like something restricting the movement; the spot was also tender to the touch. this had been present since around six weeks. but i was otherwise improving. due to my ongoing symptoms at 8 months, my doc performed another arthroscopy to see what was wrong. turned out the front anchor had pulled out, and was causing my symptoms. my doc had to do a full revision repair.

i don't think my situation is the norm. i wouldn't worry about reinjury unless you're in a lot of pain or you have symptoms that don't improve with time. you're still pretty early in your recovery.

• Posted

So, you had to go through it all over again!? Or, did the repair take first before the anchor pulled out? Sorry to hear that either way. I had the same experience, was not in terrible pain before, hurt more after. 
    • Posted

sadly, I had a revision surgery eight months after my first surgery. i'm almost 3 weeks out from the second surgery. neither my PT nor my doc thought anything was really wrong because i was strong with full ROM. we were hoping it was just some resistant scar tissue that he could clear out, but when my doc got in there both anchors were loose.

• Posted

Thanks very much for your reply. At 9 weeks out I have the same symptom as you "ongoing pulling sensation at the front of the shoulder." However with significant ache and occasional sharp pain. I as well built this injury up over the years in the gym.  I feel worse after PT. Thank you for explaining that it is early in my recovery. I'll keep the same schedule as you as far as if I do not see improvement (i.e., significant) at 8 months I'll visit the surgeon. Hope you are doing well.

bill

• Posted

hi. One more question: Have you had any success with icing the area?

thx

• Posted

I find ice helps but I'm only 6 weeks post op. Can hardly wait for the PT!

• Posted

The anchors can come loose? For some reason I thought the actually dissolved over time?
    • Posted

Icing didn't help me. if the pulling sensation continues, keep telling your PT and surgeon; you don't have to wait.  because i also had a biceps tear repaired as well as biceps tenodesis with the initial surgery, i mistakenly thought that maybe that was the cause of my symptoms, which were located near where the biceps inserts into the shoulder. i wasn't in significant pain, so i guess i was hoping nothing was really wrong.

in hindsight, i wish i had been more persistent and vocal, especially since the symptoms remained for so long. i still would have needed the second surgery, but maybe i could have had it sooner. the problem is that medical professionals tend to dismiss subjective complaints early on in the recovery process.

• Posted

anchors can come out early on.  i believe mine loosened at 4-5 weeks.  i think it takes months  (3-6?) before the anchors are absorbed into the bone.
    • Posted

moral of the story - be very careful during the first few months.
    • Posted

Anchors can come out, or things tear, specially if you do something they told you not to do. Like weights, etc. Things are very breakable the first 8 weeks or so. Doctor told me my anchors take 2 years to dissolve, but they are all different. No matter what, there can be all sorts of sensations and pains many many months on in from reading the posts here, some are still in pain at a year. Kambiri is right - "be very careful during the first few months". I babied mine. Of course, I am weaker than some who took risks, but I prefer not doing it again! Whether or not that will happen, we shall see.

• Posted

I have voiced my concerns to the PT and Physicians Assistant concerning pulling sensation and pain.  I too was eager to get PT going as well. But it seems my opinion is not that of a professional one and they  know what they are talking about. I do recognize their experience. However, you and you only know your body and how it's feeling in my opinion.  I feel my putting in my two cents at times frustrates the PT and PA.  I don't know why.  I have a high pain ceiling so it's not from simply complaining. Good luck in PT.

• Posted

hi kamibri. Not so well.  It seems at least once a day I do something that bothers it.  I just finished 6 weeks of physical therapy. Each time I left the facility I felt worse.  I get intermittent sharp pains. I have scheduled an appointment with the surgeon (i.e., finally going to get a chance to talk to him) I'll see what he says and give you a ring. Thanks for checking in.

bill

• Posted

I am sorry to hear that, but, I still think that's normal. I am now on week 12, and, the pain is still there, and it's expected to be for a few more months at least. I only took 2 rounds of PT, doctor has released me to be on my own since I do the work. If I try to raise paper shades in our house, it hurts. It pulls. But it's going to do that for a while yet. Orthopedic says that is mostly due to lack of muscle. As strength increases, the joint is more stable and the muscle stresses less. So, in other words, every week of painful exercise = less pain the next week.

But, when I was at 6 weeks of PT, I hurt very badly as well. Just knowing that the pain in this rare case is good for me, I do it anyway, despite the pain. I intentionally use my right arm to put dishes up, shades, whatever. My massage therapist, who I had not seen in 12 weeks, first thing she said, boy have you lost muscle! And she's right. I do have 95% of my range of motion back at last, though, a few weeks back I was not close, so, it does improve. 

• Posted

Thanks for the response.  I’m three months out. I have not had the same progress as you.  When I do light weights in the gym I feel strong and fine; after is the problem.  I keep thinking I  damaged the anchors  hopefully i’ll Find out soon. Thanks again 
    • Posted

After is the problem for me as well. It's because the muscles are easily exhausted. I feel fine also at the gym, though I can't do anywhere remotely near the weight I use to yet. The next day is generally awful. My shoulder blade, my inside bicep, the connection point outside mid bicep, even my forearm and sometimes wrist feel bad or sore or very sore. Sometimes restless, I have to massage my arm just to stop from going crazy. But it's gotten better as the weeks have gone on, but right now as I type this on week 12, my arm is aching a bit. And I am going to go outside at 95 degrees and unscrew and screw in some light bulbs above my head with my bad arm just to do more "exercise". I've starting driving with my bad arm for the most part when not in traffic. 

It's not pleasant at all. However, some things if I recall back I can tell are much better than a month ago. Some things I could not possibly do a month ago If you are doing the daily work, which amounted to 2.5 hours a day average for me (5 hours on PT day), then, you should expect to be making progress. 

• Posted

My first surgery was rotator cuff repair, slap tear repair, biceps tenodesis, and acromioplasty.  Second surgery was revision rotator cuff repair and more acromioplasty to address some impingement. 
    • Posted

wow. you are doing a lot.  I am a gym rat so I work out this PT process routinely. If what you say is true you are a trooper. I am in the gym 1 1/2 hours a day; five days a week. But I'm not matching you rigor. I just get concerned that I am gong to push it too hard and have set back. Keep me posted. Thanks for the posts.

• Posted

And how is the progress after the second surgery progressing after the additional acromioplasty and the work to address the impingement?
    • Posted

I started PT two weeks ago, which was five weeks post op. Everything is going the same as it was before, which is ok, but makes me a bit nervous. 😕

• Posted

I do what the doctor says in general, no matter what. That way, it's always his fault. 😀

He told me this week at this point, cuff is totally healed, so anything I want to do I can. So, I take that literally. After my one hour of ladder work today, boy am I sore! I got some Diclofenic gel which seems to work great without side effects. 

The way I see it, is, if what he says is true, then pain is ok and that will bring strength. Tearing should not really be possible at this point.

• Posted

Wow. My husband had a c cleanout p/t three times 2 shots into shoulder and neck, still in pain debilitating. Cannot find relief, ices, takes meds, ibuprofen too.  Exhausted watching him suffer. You sound like you e been through a lot too. 
    • Posted

hi. I average 1 1/2 work on the shoulder per day.  I just got up. I won't do PT today. But as thee day goes on it will feel worse. It almost sees as if simply my body weight puts pressure on it. I walked around NY city a couple of weeks ago for a couple of days.  When I  got back to Boston, I cancelled my next two PT sessions until my shoulder calmed down.  I'm still doing a lot of ice to calm my shoulder, but I am so sick of doing it. I have lost some weight in an attempt to put less pressure on my shoulders.  Thanks.

• Posted

hi. Ice gives me a little relief. Don't ice longer than 20 min at a time.  But every two or 3 hours is cool. I stopped taking Advil prescription ibuprofen and Tylenol: did nothing.  Some people recommend two Advil and two Tylenol at the same time. I tried. No results really But everybody is different.  Have your husband try:

Lay down on bed; put arm in a comfortable position (i.e, no sharp pain) Ice for twenty mins. 

Then apply two essential oils: Lavender and Lemongrass. (some people apply some coconut butter with act to deliver the oils to the area. Keep lying in that comfortable position  for a period of time and see if that gives some relief. It does work for me occasionally.

Good luck,

bill

• Posted

at this point, exactly where in your shoulder do you guys feel the most pain? Front? Top?

I have some deep tenderness (feels like to the bone) in the front of my shoulder, but the location doesn't appear to correspond with where anchors were placed, though i could be wrong about that.

• Posted

That lost weight is probably a lot of muscle too. It's not just the shoulder as you do less overall when you feel bad. Do you keep up the arm swings and stretches every day no matter what? I always found those helped me at least, and still do them twice a day. Yes, one time a few weeks ago we walked, I don't know maybe 6 miles, and, by the end my arm was unable to really stay in socket. I had to prop my arm up with the other arm. Was just too weak at the time.

But, there is still improvement. My MT was amazed how much more range of motion I have than before. That's undoubtedly due to less muscle, and, the stretches every day. 

• Posted

My hub has pain in front where shoulder and arm meet.  I wonder if removal of bursa sac made bones rub. Very painful for him.  Who knows. We keep trying to figure out why so much pain. 3 ortho later they say cleans was fine, but he feels his arm is dangling 
    • Posted

The most pain I get is back in my shoulder blade near the subscapularis and teres minor. But also the other side of the blade. Second worst would be the Surprasinatus right around the Coracoid process, which is where the stretch and pain is for the behind the back stretch and when lifting.  Third worst is mid down my bicep on the outside side. Fourth in the inside arm near the elbow. 

I believe if I felt my shoulder was being injured or damaged, I would be halfway to where I am now. I really think the mental game has more to do with your recovery than the physical. 

• Posted

Also scapula winged out big time radiopathy down arm into fingers.
    • Posted

Hi all. I am 13 months. I am not as learned in physiology as you, nor do I completely understand the severity of your surgeries. I do know that it takes a long time. Yesterday I was helping pull ivy off a 100 year old cedar that was covered. Right handed right shoulder repaired. I had to remember not to yank to hard because I didn't think falling backward when it let go would be wise! The good news is I am not as sore as I thought I would be. I have good ROM and strength but am still achy in bicep and neck. I am 66. Slow and steady will get you there. This is a hard surgery. I tell people to please be kind to friends that have had this because they are not making up the pain.

• Posted

Totally agree with you! I am just trying to let people know when they have pain at 3 months, 5 months, it is not unusual at all. It's a very tough recovery. Thanks for chiming in! Hopefully, you are still improving and one day you will have no pain. I am about 10 years younger. 

• Posted

I have a lot of pain in my bicep and sometimes a lot more on top of my shoulder after a day of too much p/t exercises.

It's either me pushing myself too hard or one of my p/t's pushing me too hard.

I decided to skip p/t for a few days until the pain settled down and try to very slowly start stretching again and not to push myself so hard. I've been concentrating on doing exercises for the neck pain instead because I don't know how much of my bicep pain is from the surgery or from my neck. 

I use coconut oil but I also have a massage cream with CBD in it that I've been applying to my bicep, I also have some nerve pain down my arm and now, at 7 weeks, to my shoulder. 

Like you I'm really worried that I've ruined my surgery. On the other hand, I am able to pick up my grandson (at 12 pounds) using my surgery arm for support when I couldn't pick him up without horrific pain when he was born. If that had been my only goal that would be great. I doubt that I will ever be able to swim again and planks are out of the question.

• Posted

You're only 7 weeks. Breathe. Treat your shoulder gently and do what the doctor says. You're just a person. You probably haven't ruined your surgery, it takes a long time and doesn't mean your a wimp. Patience!!

• Posted

You have a long way to go. It is going to hurt, a lot. But, that's normal. PT is brutal because this surgery is brutal. I've watched people cry at PT from the pain, but, it's all for a reason. It's going to take hard work and a lot of pain, but you can get through it. You sadly have a number of months to go with a lot of pain, but, it does eventually get better. But not at 7 weeks. I really doubt you have hurt your surgery. Everyone thinks they do, but you'd have to do something very extreme like falling on it with all your weight. 

• Posted

Sfatula, I have to respectfully disagree with your last statement. Doing something extreme is not the only way to hurt a surgery; I'm proof of that.

That being said, my situation is not the norm.  And I completely agree that 7 weeks is very early and is generally a very painful time in the recovery process. There's going to be quite a bit of pain while regaining ROM; pretty much no way around that. It's literally no pain, no gain. Sadly, "brutal" is a very appropriate word.

• Posted

Arj, I would be very hesitant to pick up a baby at 7 weeks, even if you're using your good arm for most of it.

What type of procedure did you have?

• Posted

hi.  At 7 weeks you are feeling exactly the way you should. You seem to be someone like me. You (we) are "jumping the gun." You will be able to swim again. Our minds play tricks on us regarding healing.  Regardless, picking up the baby might be problematic at the point. You might want to be in a better form position when lifting any weight. I have also thought I might have done damage to the anchors. I'm at 12 weeks. I'm seeing the surgeon in a week to run my concerns by him.  Hang in there. I'll drop a note when I get the physicians opinion of my post surgery progress.

• Posted

I agree with your disagreement. It is not the only way, However it is likely to be the only way though.  In a typical situation, with no doctor mistakes, nothing unusual, etc., it does take a fair amount of force. It's not simple by any means. 

• Posted

The doc will tell you that residual pain and soreness is normal, which it is.  Give him specific examples of activities that cause pain and where the pain is. He should let you know if it's ok, which should go a long way to assuage your concerns.

Things generally get much better once you've regained full ROM. Once you enter the strengthening phase (12 weeks or so), the strengthening exercises should not cause a lot of pain while you're doing them. Yes, they may be tough and cause soreness afterwards, but they generally should not provoke any sharp pain while doing them. If your residual soreness and pain is too high, maybe cut back the intensity and amount of the exercises. Give your shoulder a chance to recover before inflicting too much load on it again. Pendulums can (still) be great for soothing discomfort!

• Posted

I had a level one full rotator cuff repair & a blankart repair.

I was in a sling for 4 weeks and started p/t at 1 week. I could have started right away. No problem picking up the baby. Holding him while standing up is another story and a terrible idea.

My insurance cuts off p/t appointments at 20 so I am now going once a week.  I had a cortisone shot in the short bicep for bicep tendonitis at 5 weeks. It helped a little bit but I still have bicep & neck pain.

I have this feeling that my doctor doesn't think that I should be in this much pain after this type of surgery because he cut off the oxycodone after a 2 week supply.  Luckily I have been hoarding it and only taking it when I have been in really excruciating pain. Instead, I use NSAID gel (with food so that I don't trigger GERD symptoms), extra strength tylenol, CBD oil, hot baths with epson salt, constant icing. My doctor thinks that I need to go to pain management.

Dealing with pain is an every day non-stop challenge. I am a self employed photographer and I also work as a Wordpress developer. I can not do either one of these tasks for more than an hour or two a day if at all. I have permission to use my camera but can not lift up my arms. I can not sit at a desk for more than an hour or two. 

• Posted

I went to a busy PT center. You know how they become your best friends. After a couple of weeks the woman in the front who sees everything told me "you rotator cuff people have the hardest rehab". I don't know if that comforted me or made me feel worse! Anyway keep plugging along.

• Posted

Your doctor doesn't think you'd be in that much pain after a couple of weeks!? That would be a pretty dumb doctor, sorry, you have a very long way to go before the pain ends. Oxycodone has a lot of bad side effects, some can stand it, I could not. 800mg Ibuprofen does fairly well. Diclenfonac cream is actually very effective without the side effects of oral pills. If you are in pain (and should be, sorry), you should ask him for relief and not accept that he cut you off. Insist! Try the gel at least, which takes a prescription. 

• Posted

I stopped oxy. after two days. It really made me feel worse than any pain could (just me). Work the ice and possibly the oils I suggested earlier.  I'm a born skeptic. However, if the oils are simply a placebo; if it helps even a little you might as well give it a shot. It has worked somewhat for me. As for being limited to 20 PT appts, by 20 you should know the techniques in my opinion. Do them at home; or got to the gym.  sfatula, what is Diclenfonac cream and where might I get it?

p.s. the shoulder is the hardest to rehab due to the complexity of the injury.

• Posted

Yes, Percocet I lasted a while on (same thing but one addition), however, ended up with side effects I could no longer take and lasted 5 weeks AFTER I stopped taking it, so, totally agree, would have had less overall problems without it. 

The shoulder is also hard to rehab as it moves more ways than any other joint, so, more attachments and such.

Diclenfenac is an NSAID, not that much different than Oxycodone as far as effectiveness, maybe a little less. BUT, and here's what I found out this week long after my suffering at the hands of Percocet and hating it. The difference is it's a gel, and you only rub it where it hurts. So, instead of affecting the whole body, stomach, constipation, etc., it really only affects the areas it's rubbed on! So, get a prescription from the doctor if you can. I have found the pain and inflammation relief much superior than 800mg Ibuprofen, or even Percocet, at least for me. So, with less pain and swelling (yes I ice also), it's easier to work on the shoulder. At least for me, YMMV.

• Posted

I do have the gel. It's great but unfortunately aggravates my GERD as do all NSAIDS. I can only use it once a day and only with Ranitadine and on a full stomach.

I don't know if he is a bad dumb doctor. He has all kinds of accolades and does a lot of these surgeries. I think that the laws here in New York rightly make it difficult for doctors to prescribe Oxycodone the way that they used to so I use it very judiciously. If I do need more, which I hope not to need, I am going to have to go to pain management.  When I am in really serious pain it's the only thing that works. 

• Posted

Thanks. I'll talk with the surgeon next Monday.  I just won't the buzz and stupor oxsy. put me in. 

• Posted

Unfortunately, Diclenfanac gel can still effect the stomach, as I learned. Perhaps not to the same degree as oral NSAIDS. 
    • Posted

I agree, 20 appointments are enough. I don't want to use them all up going 3 times a week, I want to stretch them out a bit. 

I watch a lot of youtube videos by physical therapists that I probably should have watched before the surgery but I had no idea what to expect.  My left shoulder decompression surgery for frozen shoulder 10 years ago was almost painless. I recovered very quickly and had full ROM within a year. 

By the way, the oil that I mentioned in my last post, which I believe got my post put into moderation is a godsend for sleep and anxiety. It's legal in many states in the USA. 

• Posted

I know it can, it fortunately does not for me and is less likely to do so. But that doesn't help of course if it does for you! It's just more localized so makes it less likely. 

• Posted

The Gel is pretty amazing. I wish that I could use it more often. I have a pretty low tolerance for most medications if I take them more than once a day. It going to be GERD with NSAIDS or horrific migraines with opioids. I can take tylenol but it does nothing for me.
    • Posted

Do you have the 1% or a higher percent gel? I have the 1%, and it works wonders for me. 
    • Posted

Well. Truth be told: In the long run Oxy. creates much bigger problems than it resolves. Hang in there: lot's of good suggestions in the posts above.

• Posted

Yes, I have 1% gel. My P/T used it for my ultrasound the other day after our torture session. That was pretty cool. 
    • Posted

Yes, I do understand that. Luckily I don't have a lot of Oxycodone. I have just enough so that I can take one at night on those really bad days and I'm not going to lie - I'm glad that it's there.  I am very careful about taking it. I'm too old to become an addict! 

• Posted

hi. I didn't mean to imply that you would become an addict. But at some point your going to have to get to a level of pain that is manageable without it. And to a level in which you can put up with the pain and work your way to full health: good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.