After shingles

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am just getting over shingles. Was not very severe and was completely tolerable. Was given an antiviral but also prednisone in large doses. For the last week and I am totally incapacitated. I have no symptoms headache nausea stomach pains etc. However I have been forced to just lie in bed for close to a week now. When I try to get up my legs are like stone and shaky I am dizzy I am so weak I can hardly move. I went to the ER Saturday and was told all of my blood work was normal except for an elevated white blood count and somewhat lower kidney function. The doctor told me this was normal for people who have been on a lot of prednisone. They sent me home and I am still incapacitated. I have been under the idea that the prednisone weaning off is what’s causing this. I was on 60 mg of prednisone for seven days and then tapered it off to 5 tabs for3 days, 4 tabs for3 days and so on to complete a regimen of 87 10mg tabs. I AM NOT SURE WHY SO MUCH MED EVEN THO SHINGLES WERE NOT THAT PAINFUL. DR FINALLY STOPPED THEM BUT I AM NOT SURE IF PREDNISONE OR SHINGLES ARE CAUSING THIS BREAKDOWN IN MY BODY.I AM NOW ON MY 7th day of sleeping all the time and total weakness. WILL SEE DR TOMORROW , but so far she has not offered a solution or cause. I AM 84 and thus more suseptable to meds. I NEEDS SOME ANSWERS TO WHAT IS GOING ON. THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.