After symptoms go away...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had a few episodes of diverticulitis. Never been diagnosed with scan or colonoscopy. Clinic doctor diagnosed based on symptoms and family history. My grandfather on my Mom's side and both of her brothers had it as well -- one uncle had a severe case accompanied by surgery and long recovery. Anyway, my question is, after the pain and other symptoms go away, is it normal to have continue regular excess gas and a feeling of "pressure" in the same area. Many thanks for any feedback.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes you can have pressure and discomfort from gas, belching , etc long after the attack. As long as u don’t have constant pain, fever or blood with a bowel movement. You didn’t mention your age or where you are from. Diagnosis and  treatment vary between the US and UK.  

It sometimes is difficult to distinguish between a flare and recovery discomfort. Best of luck!

• Posted

Hello. I'm in US. 48. Thanks for the feedback.

• Posted

I am surprised the Dr didn’t rec follow up with a colonoscopy. Usually they will do it after 6 -8 wks after a flare. Also due to your family history. 

In my case I’ve had 2 protracted episodes that took months to resolve. I am scheduled for surgery. The reason I tell you this is your risks go up with each episode you have of having more. Take good care of yourself!

• Posted

Yes to the "same area" before my diverticulitis was diagnosed I had extreme gas pain and always in the same area. You should go in for a catscan, just so you know what is going on. They aren't painful and are pretty fast, they are a LOT of radiation (I've had 6).

Most people with diverticulitis live a normal healthy life without surgery. Unfortunately if it is "really bad" surgery is the only option.

By really bad I mean hurts so bad you can't take it anymore, or like in my case, the diverticula attached to my bladder giving me a 24/7 UTI from hell.

I had laparoscopic surgery they removed 12 inches of my colon (the entire sigmoid colon) I would not wish that surgery on anyone, but in my case it was "24/7 UTI"

vs. "Abdominal surgery". I chose surgery.

You really should go in for a catscan so you know what is what. With diverticulitis it is NOT recommended to have a colonoscopy, it could kill you if you have large diverticula, the colonoscopy can cause them to rupture.

Hope that helps,

CecilMcCecil

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.