After the cast comes off.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a talonavicular fusion with a posterior tibial tendon repair.  I have been in a hard cast for 5 weeks-2 weeks to go. My Dr didn't say much about what would happen after the cast comes off, so I'm wondering if he will put me in an air cast for a week or so, or just tell me to walk and good luck.  He did say I would not need PT, that just walking will rehab my foot.  Any thoughts on this?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I have been 9 weeks nwb in cast with TaloNavicular fusion. One more week then XRay to determine if I go to a walking boot. I have had little to no pain just ready to start walking. This is a long process, it takes lots of patience. Hopefully we will all have the same positive, pain free results. I'll let u know how I do after June 7. Best of luck to u.
  • Posted

Physio a must. See one to make a plan. Im 8 months post snapped fibula and 4 months post op with a bone graft plate and screw's. And a bakers cyst on other knee. No good legs!

@(*+*)@

• Posted

HI, 

I had a talonvicular fusion on my ankle almost 8 weeks ago. I had the bandages with a splint for about 2 weeks, then a cast for 6 weeks, and now in a air walking boot, and using a cane. He hasnt said anyhting about PT yet, but im sure that will come in time. Hes really happy with my progress, and havent had any problems at all. 

Good Luck

Sue

• Posted

Congratulations on your progress. I'm looking forward to starting to walk next week.

Karran

• Posted

Thanks.  

Beware that at first you will be wobbly, but will build up, and will get stronger with it. I can now ( shouldnt be) walk with the boot with out the cane. I do walk across my bedoroom if i have to get up thru the nite with out the boot, and do use the cane. You will get stronger, it takes time. Also, if you experience some pain in your achilles and ankle, my drs office said its totally normal, and you will have pain, and will go away. jsut ice it, and elevate it. All the things that im experiencing. 

Good Luck

Sue

• Posted

Thank u Sue. I will let u know how things go June 7. So ready for this next phase. I will b careful. Thank u,

Karran

• Posted

your very welcome.  i sleep with my foot on a pillow everynite. It seems to help with before the pain goes away from the day, and i do take 3-4 bayer back/all over pain. It works wonders. I was off my pain meds after about 3-4 days after surgery. im not one for vicodin, etc. i cant stand that stuff. 

Let me know

Sue

• Posted

Interesting. I still sleep in a recliner with foam double pillow under my legs for more elevation. I don't really have pain just after a long day foot swells & elevation takes it down quickly. I do take an extra strength Tylenol PM about 1/2 hr before go to sleep. It works great.

I am not looking forward to removing all the dead skin on my foot & leg. Dermatologist recommended EXCIPIAL cream. I bought it on line. Hope it works.

Karran

• Posted

Oh, I couldnt deal with the couch after about a week or so. I was crawling up and down the stair way, and getting my self on my bed. it wasnt easy, but i did it. My foot does swell, and hurt after i have been on it for a long while,but not Get in the shower ( which was the BEST part after the cast came off), and rub it with your hand, and i even rubbed the bottom of my foot over the drain, and got lots off. Also, my mom has a Foot Cream (she orders it from one of the girls in her networking group, i know you can order it online),  and I have been using that, and it has worked wonders. I even went and got a pedicure, and they got the excess skin off. I even have the body cream, and have been using that on my calf. 

let me know if you have any more questions. Also here is my email if you would like to email me directly

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. I've also removed the product/company name. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Yay! Its like feeling naked. Be careful. My poor neighbour is having his damaged toes fused on BOTH FEET at same time. His wife is dreading it. He's already had ankle replacements and knee surgery to I think. Thrashed body by jogging. Gosh I only ever ran when someone chased me!

I asked Physio if I would be able to run after my plated screwed fibula was healed and my bakers cyst on other leg was fixed. He knew I was having him on. I didn't run before. Lol.

Good luck. Hope you have plenty of seated hobbies. You're going to need them.

@(*%*)@

• Posted

oh ok, no problem 

thanks, i tried!!!

• Posted

One thing I was told by a friend who has had lots of foot injuries because he is a snowboarder, was to walk in water.  Because the water helps one to bear less weight while walking, it is great therapy.  I have two water therapy pools near where I live, so I will be using that for therapy.
  • Posted

One thing I was told by a friend who has had lots of foot injuries because he is a snowboarder, was to walk in water.  Because the water helps one to bear less weight while walking, it is great therapy.  I have two water therapy pools near where I live, so I will be using that for therapy.
    • Posted

Pool therapy good. Was doing it before my bakers cyst took me out. In a couple of weeks I'll be back in. My broken leg more sensitive to water temp. Felt like it was a hot spa. Other leg water felt cold.@(*%*)@

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.