After TKR - foot of operated leg across other knee?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Before the TKR I always rested my foot of one leg across the other knee to do toenails or foot stuff but I can't do this comfortably and am afraid of damaging the knee with the operated leg.  Does anyone else rest that foot across the unoperated knee, and if so, how long after the op?  It MAY be just that because everything stretches more with me, the thigh is dropping further down from the hip than it normally would though, so putting more pressure on the knee.  Don't know...

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I do put the foot on the unoperated knee. It feels a bit uncomfortable but doesn't hurt. I can paint my toenails without, by stretching down, I'm not bendy but am stretchy!! But have to put the foot up for cutting toenails!

I am 7 months now, but 1st did it about 5 months out, didn't like to risk it until then! Had to do the stretch with a bit of bend up until then! Am usually very quick with it too, once cut, I can bend my knee & finish off (file the sharp edges).

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Ah GOOD!    So in time I might well be able to do that too.  Yes, at the moment I'm sitting and leaning over to do them with feet on the floor or can reach with the knee bent upwards, when sitting on the bed etc. but it will be easier if I can put the knee sideways so the foot rests on the other knee:-))))  Thank you!

• Posted

Where exactly does it hurt? When I do the same thing, it hurts along the inner side. It will not damage anything. It is the medial collateral ligament.
  • Posted

Chris i couldin't reach my toenails for a long time before my op and still cant i went last week for a lovely pedicure made me feel good but im hoping in time i'l be able to do it myself im still very stiff at times and i'l be 12 weeks tuesday i thought i'd be well on my way back to normal by now,im away on holiday end of aug and iv just went online today and booked extra leg room just to be comfortable incase im not as bendy as id like,sorry im going on again its once i start lol good luck with everything x

• Posted

I'm coming up for 12 weeks too:-))).  I think the extra room is such a good idea anyway.  Being tall, my husband and I always got extra leg room if we could:-)))  But how lovely - a holiday to look forward to!  I MIGHT be having my holiday in hospital, having the other knee done then LOL!  Hope your stiffness has gone by then though!

• Posted

Oh gosh, hearing you say you maybe having your other knee done makes me shiver. I need my other one done also but wow what a recover this is. I had no idea the timeline with this. I'm 13 weeks out and just take one day at a time. Some days are better then others. Love reading all this info. Good luck to you!!

• Posted

Im small chris so never needed it before and idea just came to me today,but yes im really looking forward to holiday if i could get this knee bent of coursesad hopefully you can get other knee done and think of wee break  in the winter months,there's so many people on this forum getting there 2nd knee done thankfully mine ok for now,i wish you all the luck with your second knee,and keep up the good work on this forum with all you'r advice for everyone.biggrinx

• Posted

I was one of those who had SUCH an easy time of the first one.  It all feels a very long time ago.  I had no real pain - just a bit of discomfort from time to time in the very early days, and I only lost one night's sleep!  I just sailed through it.  I had no 'real' painkillers after I let hospital apart from Ibuprofen for a few days to reduce inflammation.   If the other knee is half as good I'll be well pleased:-)))  I hope your other knee goes as well as my first, too!

• Posted

Oh thank you VIctoria!  Yes, us 'second kneers' are so looking forward to live after knees LOL!  But then there are a  lot of 'first kneers' who don't need the other one done who can get on with life too:-))))))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.